Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussions

I also find it helpful to begin posting early so students who wish to take part can see that I have already started with a model post. Chris

Christopher,

Good point. When students can start and move at their own pace, it is helpful to many students. Thanks.

In addition to this I post links to relevant current affairs articles so that the students can see that the discussion boards are relevant, dynamic and contemporary.

Hala,

Current events can give students the opportunity to connect classroom content to the real world. Thanks!

Chris,

Are you talking about the assignment post or just being the first to post to the assignment? I tend to wait and start to post about 3-4 days in and then only address a few of them and then later come back in and do a few more and continue through the week like this. I do not know if there is any benefit to this method other then it does give me an opportunity to ask questions and respond if they have addressed or posted to me.

William Huber

William and Chris,

I typically feel like I must teach a class about three times before I feel like it is quite right. This includes the timing of postings, assignments, etc. it takes some time.

Hello Colleagues, :-)

I agree with Chris. Students are encouraged to post when they see we've initially posted to the discussion board. Our posts also model our expectations for student communication. In fact, one of my school's teaching expectations is that instructors are the first ones to post to the weekly discussion boards.

Kind regards,
Sara Fine
Online Instructor

Sara,

Yes, many times in these forums we are mentioning serving as a role model. Keep up the good work.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Instructors posting first is very motivating for students. I think that leads the way to some stimulating discussion boards.

Karen,

We serve as role models. If this is one way you can serve as an excellent role model - excellent. Thanks!

I try to always post first. Sometimes students just don't know how to get started and they find it easier to follow the instructor's postings.

I like to include, when possible, current events in my Discussion postings. It shows that the discussions can be based on real-life situations, especially in the business arena.

Jacqueline,

Good point. You are right, they do need a "start" from another person some time. Good job.

Jacqueline,

When you can connect current events to the discussion postings, the students will be more engaged and see how it is relevant to today's world. Nice job.

Yes, I know within my school it is required to post "prompts" that will assist the student with responding. I actually like this idea because it will also help the shy student get started early. I know it can be quite intimidating to be the first one to post, especially if you do not have a guide or someone that has posted before you. I think when the facilitator posts first this gives the student an example to follow, such as appropriate tone, content, and value of the response. What do you all think?

Joi ,

Can you assign students or groups of students to be responsible for the prompts? The discussions should be mostly among the students. I assign student leaders and each week I choose a different students. I give an example of a good post with appropriate tone, etc. in the syllabus. That's their model to follow. I also use a rubric to evaluate posts, so they have that too. Hope this is helpful.

Sign In to comment