Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Students

Energy and enthusiasm are irreplaceable. Even with this strong statement, how do you get those with variety of ages to join togather?

I look for and try to understand my students strengths and weaknesses and formulate a plan of motivation based on my collected data. What makes a student laugh? What topics captures my students interests more than other topics. Once I have a decent relationship and understand my group, I can then formulate my lectures and lesson plan accordingly. Mitch Becker CCC,CCE

Julie,
Great question. Motives are what drive people and if they are want to do the work they will. if they do not want to do the work how do we get them to want to?
Philip Campbell

I try to find a common ground between all my students and then show them how that common thread can be a bond between them all.

I also try to get them to rely on one another by getting them to empathize with each person's situation in the group. The more they understand how similar each person life is to their own, the less they feel isolated. They then wind up motivating each other.

Robert,
Good ideas. Isolation among a group is one of the hardest things to break through. Giving them some involvement is a great idea.
Philip Campbell

Engaging students is very important these days because their attention span is very short. You have to know what type of students that you're dealing with. Some audio, visual and hands on. You have to mix it up for everyone. Read your classroom because you may have to divert away from your lesson plan just for a moment to help your class engaged. Keep the material interesting and relevant.

Irving,
Touching on all the learning styles is a great way to keep them engaged in the class and discussions.
Philip Campbell

Good topic for discussion are usually common ground to get student engaged in class. Regardless, of the diversity or age among the students. I usually have good questions or open up the class with a statement for students to comment or discuss.

I also do something similar. I not only challenge my students to get more involved, but I get more involved myself. I'm a mostly introverted person by nature and when I see shy ones who sit in the back and don't get involved in discussions, I try different methods of trying to get them to open up and express an opinion to get them out of their comfort zone, if only for a few minutes. It usually ends up being a win/win situation.

Shawn,
That is good. There are benefits to being involved in the discussion as opposed to siting back and observing the discussion.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment