Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Positive Attitude

I believe that having positive attitude is the key to instructing students. What is your favorite soft skill?

John,
I think that mine is also having a positive attitude. There is not much more you would need if you can do that.
Philip Campbell

Absolutely. I find many of the reasons students disconnect with Instructors, is their utter lack of Soft Skills. I've seen this both on the teaching end, as well as the student end.

I agree - having a positive attitude is probably the most important soft skill to have in the classroom. Most other things seem to fall into place if you go into your lecture with a positive outlook.

We recently had an ineffective manager on our staff and that affected my positive attitude in the classroom.

This course has given me some tools to use to help keep a positive attitude and to work on managing other soft skills.

Elisa,
Good for you. It is nice to see that you are helping your students to grow as you are growing with them.
Philip Campbell

I am an instructor but a student as well. The importance of a possitive must be maintaned, even though difficult sometimes, it must prevail when in the classroom when teaching.

William,
A positive attitude is hard to keep at times. It is also hard to get others to follow along. Stay positive even though others may not be.
Philip Campbell

I believe they are all important, for me a positive attitude is the most important. With a positive attitude you are able to overcome obstacles and relate to people and situations in a positive fashion.

Gregory,
Nicely said. It is amazing what can be accomplished with a positive attitude. Conversely, it is amazing what can be undone with a negative attitude.
Philip Campbell

You must maintain a positive attitude with your students, if not they will become bored and not attentive to your teachings. Also, being postitive shows intitiative behavior and motivates your students.

DONNA,
That is some good role modeling that you are talking about. Often times it is hard to keep students interested all the time. The more work you do the more work your students will do.
Philip Campbell

I agree. Some students just follow the lead of the instructor and if you remain positive and lead by example you'll find students giving a little extra and opening up a little more than they might normally. Building trust and breaking the ice occur through communication and expectations and the more the rules are understood and enforced, the more trust and respect you'll receive in return.

I belive a positive attitude is very important as well. And the best part is, I can choose what kind of mood I am in! If I am in a good mood, those around me tend to be in a good mood too. If I am in a bad mood, those around me tend to be in a bad mood as well. When I choose to be in a good mood, my whole day is much nicer. Choose happiness!!!

My favorite soft skill is showing genuine interest and concern for the student. They become a part of my life for a short time and i like them to know I really care about them and thier opportunty for success in the future

Positive attitude with integrity will speak volumes to your students.
I think they are related in how you relate and motivate your students on a regular basis. Both can be performed, verbally and non verbally.

Brian,
Agreed. Body language is a big help to instructors conveying a message.
Philip Campbell

I believe that positivity is key. There are times when as a student, life is hard, finances are not where they should be and it is difficult to find the light atthe end. We as instructors must always be that light shining the way. Empathy, understanding and positivity are key!!!

Kathryn,
Positive attitudes help to create a positive atmosphere.
Philip Campbell

I agree, staying positive is an hard task when you have someone else that is not a postive person.

take care of yourself first, assure that you are intact and your needs are met. before you can genuinely take care of meeting the needs of others.
then with a relaxed positive disposition i am as ready as i can be for what the world (my students / co-workers have to offer today.

Sign In to comment