Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Technical Skill

If I find myself displaying a lot of soft skills in my classroom, will that in time, affect my audience (i.e. students) into becoming to personal with me in subjects other than lessons at hand?

Creating appropiate empathy=great people skills

Great learning module! I have always believe throughout my career and now transforming into a instructor, I feel that being a person who understands empathy can really produce a great role model to others who are trying to learn a specific skill or lesson. I have been taught that if you put yourself into someone else's shoes you can really understand their thought process and at least understand on where they are coming from. I have found much success in using that technique in my teachings but it came as a natural occurance for myself. Thank you for enlighting me… >>>

soft skills

I find that a great mjority of the students I teach have very little soft skills , if any. I try to instill soft skills in them. They seem angry or some one owes them. I cannot grasp the way the Y generation looks at the world. Any suggestions on how to go about making a change for these students?

Computer Litercy in Todays World

I, as a Computer Science Instructor, always try to start out with why the students are in a Computer Science Class. I have to take a book designed for the IT Industry, and explain to a class of Respiratory Therapist why they need it. I am constantly explaining how they can be more productive on a Computer, How, when requesting support how "It's Broke" does nothing in helping them, and giving them some background in why computers work the way it does. I do like the Computer Litercy section of this course, giving me some things to think about.

EQ

I tend to believe that the more achievements and success we have in life, the higher our EQ becomes? Largely due to our self-esteem and confidence in ourself because we are inherently socially conscious? This is why I also find that physical fitness can also lend an edge because it drastically effects our self-image, and the more healthy your self image, the higher you EQ... Any thoughts?

Very informative

As I carefully read the text I couldn't help to realize how much I need to improve in my own work place behavior.

Emotional Intelligence

In my employment experiences the best leaders have been those who possess knowledge of the job and the industry as well as a keen sense of dealing with people. Those leaders that are more concerned with numbers and the bottom line than the emotionla well being of their workforce find themselves tryingto manage at team that is difficult to cultivate and train.

Soft Skills

One of the most important soft skills is creative thinking. Does anyone know of how to improve skills as a creator? I am a people person but have difficulty when it comes to innovating new ideas sometime. Thanks!

Soft Skills and Healthcare

Although both are highly relevant in education, education for healthcare should require much greater relevance. When dealing with patients, soft skills are what comforts them and provides them with confidence that they are getting quality, compassionate care. On the other hand, soft skills alone are useless if the technical, hard skill set is not sufficient. What are your thoughts?

Adjust our OWN Emotions

I found it almost ironic that I am takint this course today. I am a very positive person. I was teaching my class earlier this week and found the class getting louder and louder. I brought it to thier attention many times, I emphasised how many of them had low scores and were trying to grasp the subject. When I had finished for only a few seconds the room went to full outside voice again. I found myself all of a sudden to be the loudest voice in the room, Startling the class. Although I got the desired result, I… >>>

Letting the right hand know what the left hand is doing.... TEAM WORK

Team work would work better if everyone would do it

Effective communication.

Effective communication is very important to accomplish exellent education.I use to tell the students how important is to develop their communications skills to get progess.

Assessing student assignments

When assessing a writing assignment, how much constructive criticism is too much? You don't want to break the students confidence by being too harsh, yet you need the message to get through. What are your best practices?

Emotions

I have been using this practice for quite sometime now and i find that by keeping everything in the classroom professional gives my students the sense of importance. While on the flip side encouraging them to have fun while they are cooking their food. Showing enthusiasm and praise for their efforts, especially when they follow your lead and cook delicious tasting food really makes you and the student feel good about themselves. I feel that by keeping your emotions in check goes a lot longer and you will receive more respect, but sometimes i feel that you have to show… >>>

Setting the Bar

I find that by setting the bar on day one sets the tone and behavior in the classroom. I find that by going over in detail the class outline and objective is one of the keys to a successful term. I teach the advanced culinary arts where my students only have one more class before completing the program. I stress the importance of being prepared and those who show lack of preparness are the ones who suffers in production. Another tool i use is what we call a production schedule where the student will have to analyze the cooking procedures… >>>

Hard and soft skills

I find it is best to incorporate both soft and hard skills while teaching a software course.

Big Me Little You

This discussion of soft skills reminds me of some training in the past where we debated the best teaching approches. If you the instuctor can bring yourself to the level of the student you will be more effective. This does not mean you lose the ability to manage your class or resolve conflict. You have to find a level of empathy that works for you. I find it quite effective to look upon my students as though they are my children. I think most of the time they realize I am looking out for their best interests, the students that… >>>

Classroom Skills and Diversity

One of the greatest challenges to to demonstrate classroom management using soft skills an anticipate how students of diversity will interpret these skills. It is important to orient faculty, new and experienced, to cultural diversity in the classroom and the avoidance of offending someone. This faculty oreintation can be in the form of a workshop or online training. Cultural diversity and classroom managment was not addressed during my orientation. I had to learn by trial and error. At times, I think I use too many soft skills.

Acknowledging my flaws

The very first step in improving my EQ is to acknowledge the fact that I have something that I need to work on. I cannot be too proud to say that "I am good, and others are bad." One of my weaknesses is taking things personally, especially when it comes to dealing with my students. I often get misunderstood when I try to motivate them and push them to give their education their best. Teaching is my passion. I am elated when my students succeed, and I get frustrated when they don't. I know this sounds like a very good… >>>

I have much to learn

I am not particularly touchie feelie