Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting personally involved with student problems

Is it more important to be a good listener and empathize or have a list/offer solutions to problems students are having outside of class? Or both? I try to do both but mostly I think listening may be more imporant...I may be the only person who is listening and they just want to vent. What do you think?

I find this to be true as well. You have to be a good (sincere) listener, but all you can really do is offer suggestions on how the student might better find help for their dilemma. You cannot get too involved.

Richard,
Good Point Richard. giving guidance is a lot different than getting involved. Lets make sure we keep those lines in the sand without crossing them.
Philip Campbell

We are considered to be instructors, and as such, we want to convey the information that is required to the student. However, we are not qualified to give personal advice to students. We can, however, listen to the problem at hand, and then direct the student to the appropriate person.

Barbara,
Good point. because a student approaches up it does not make us experts. With that in mind make sure your institution has a list of resources or agencies may be able to help students when you cannot.
Philip Campbell

I think listening to students is very important as well. Some problem they tell me about I can't understand. I try, let them vent, and be honest if I don't know and point them toward someone who does have a clue. If I can't help, i will refer.

Carlton,
Venting may be all they need sometimes.
Philip Campbell

I think that we have to be very cautious about crossing that line between professional involvement and personal involvement. I remember when I first started teaching believing that I was empathizing with a student when in fact she believed I was sympathizing with her and before I knew it she considered me more of a friend than an instructor. Then the rest of the class felt that she was receiving special treatment. It was very difficult to turn the situation around so that the class would return to trusting me. Even more difficult was getting the student to understand that I was her instructor and not her friend.

Patty,
Good point. There needs to be that line in the sand.
Philip Campbell

Often a student will just need to know that someone is listening to them. I have always made it known to my students that I am always here if they need to blow off steam, but they are also aware that I am unable to solve their problems. It is our company policy to refer them to an outside agency, but I will sit with them for as long as it takes.
Angelia Newby

Angelia,
Good point. Listening often solves problems before they get too big.
Philip Campbell

Several students have come to me and said, "You really are a good listener." As I've read in other posts, sometimes students just need to vent. Depending on the situation, perhaps we can lend a recommendation or advice when needed. As good instructors, I believe we learn when to just listen and when we need to do a little more to help the student with their issue,

Sebastian,
Good point. Listening is not always the cure all, sometimes validation helps students when they need a little pick me up.
Philip Campbell

Some students have problems that are predictable and common among all students. Occasionally,though, a student comes to you with a problem that is huge. I always feel like I am abandeoning them after I listen, but I cannot solve their financial, medical or emotional problems. It would be helpful even in these times of budget cuts if schools would have a service to which we could refer students with these types of serious probles.

toni,
I see where you are coming from. It is hard to listen to students and become attached. But referring them to services that can help is probably the best thing you can do. The last thing you would want is any kind of dependence being built. What would happen once you cannot help them, what would their reactions be. If you start off with referring them to places that are design to help they will remember that and not feel like they should come to you all the time. It is hard, but you are the professional and remember you are always role modeling for them.
Philip Campbell

When listening to your students ensure you ask open ended questions. Many times they will come up with a solution all on their own. Then always reinforce the other sources that can help their situation, like Student Services,Student Advisors,Financial aid,Employment services etc.

Kenneth,
Open ended questions are grweat way to get students to open up.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment