Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with criticism

I constantly need to work on the way I deal with criticism from co-workers. There are times where I feel attacked and haven't been able to properly accept the feedback given. This is something I need to remind myself that the feedback is for the greater good and is a part of my job. After taking this course I have realized I need to be more aware of my emotions and manage them more effectively.

Are there any examples of others and how they effectively deal with criticism?

Rob,
Congratulations on having a takeaway from this course. How people deal with things are so different person to person. I would recommend taking some time before reacting. If possible come back a day alter to discuss it with the person. It gives you time to reflect and if there were any emotions involved it will give them to to calm down. Good luck.
Philip Campbell

I also have trouble with dealing with criticism, which can lead to managing my emotions. I try very hard to improve on these two things so as not to affect my students. I almost always have a positive attitude, but this can be difficult when so many others around do not (negativism is most certainly contagious). I enjoyed this course & learned several ways to help manage some soft skills (including ones I thought I was pretty good at). Thank you.

I think the hardest way to deal with criticism is when you think you are doing everything good/ or have the confidence that you are doing a great job- only to find out from someone that you aren't. A more frequent "check in" would be much more beneficial to make sure you are on track, and that would lessen the chances for criticizing. my $.02.

I also have problems dealing with criticism. I feel part of it comes from the lack of positive reinforcement when i do well at my job. Employees need a balance of constructive criticism as well as praise for a job well done. Not all negitive.

Deborah,
I agree with a good balance. I think that sometimes people need to be able to accept some form of redirection, but I also believe that that redirections and the responsibility lies with the person who is delivering it. You can tell someone if they are doing something wrong in a nice way and still get results.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment