Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I try to convey the importance of soft skills to tech students

As an instructor teaching technical (computer) skills to students there is a feeling that many workers in the IT field are the stereotypical nerdy introvert types, secluded in a server room and not expected to interact, this is not true at all! I try to convey to my students that companies are looking for those who are soft skill savvy, they want people who can interact well with others and can handle themselves given various circumstances.

Brian I have to agree with you. IT students do get a bad rap and do tend to be stereotyped as "nerds". What they don't understand is the will not just be with a computer all day they will have to interact with others that may not have "computer sense" as they do. They will have to learn not to talk over people's heads and also talk with them on their level, or they may loose business and money.

there is nothing wrong with being a nerd "with personality" would be the upgrade, nothing is ever 100% we are all different with respect with what we bring to the table respectively. remember stereotypes may be discerned by others due to what they have experienced. our actions bring responses communication and our soft skills many times direct the type of return response. choose your day, not to be chosen for you.

selinza,
Soft skills can help to return the response you are looking for.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment