Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing Professional Skills

How do you help your students define their professional skills?

Our campus has a professionalism initiative that is posted in each classroom to define the expected levels of professional skills that are required for the work force. Our course materials also offer a range of technological, social and presentation programs that help to increase a students professional development

Todd,
Information is golden! You can add that info right into the online classroom as well!

Shelly Crider

Each student must treat every person that they come in contact with as a potential client. We as instructors take this very seriously and sometimes the students have a hard time showing other classmates their own level of professionalism. Once they see us as instructors act professionally towards others...thwy usually fall in line.

Becka,
I love how you state this. Indeed this is what we want for our students.

Shelly Crider

From day one, we impart the importance of professionalism in our career. Massage Therapy has gotten a bad rap and by thinking, acting , and looking like a professional, we give our students a good start on their journey as well as something they can work on and use for the rest of their lives.

I help students define their professional skills by making each student list their top 10 career-related strengths. We review the list in class and discuss them as professional skills.

Absolutely! Professionalism is what would set any individual apart from the pack. Professionalism encompassing the image they project to the impression they give can make all the difference.

The class we teach Career Management identifies professional skills and the entire class is centered on the importance of "soft skills".

I teach the general education courses at a career college, so I try to show my students that the skills they learn in my course can transfer. I expect professional levels of communication in email, text, and writing, and I ask them to reflect on how that would come across to someone who had never met them. Most students agree that it is the skill of coming across as professional and responsible that they seek most in writing. I try to show them how they can do that.

Faculty for the career colleges can have a more difficult time assisting students in developing their professional skills because of the other factors associated with many second career students. Faculty must find a balance in the learning environment and a way to introduce and connect the dots.

Erin,
This is an awesome post and thank you for being so passionate about teaching!

Shelly Crider

Kathleen,
Oh so true! We as instructors must show the way for professionalism.

Shelly Crider

Michele,
This emphasizes critical skill thinking and writing as well.....I like this!

Shelly Crider

Michele,
Soft skills is what I have seen missing in students for awhile. Good to hear you are honing in on these skills.

Shelly Crider

I, among other courses, teach psychology. Psychology is the science of behavior and thinking processes. Right after defining, I use this definition for my students to think about their behavior and thinking for everything they do, they say etc. The definition is the first thing I write on the board at the beginning of class. As I lecture and discusiions come up, I point to the definition and encourage my students to think about their professional skills, are they communicating affectively, are they listening, do they think critically about what the do and in their thinking.

Since I have the opportunity to teach the career development and career management courses at my campus, I personally make professional development the number one priority in these classes. The term emotional intelligence (EQ)sums up what I expect of them. I help student assess the maturity level. They should pay close attention to how the carry themselves and how they relate to others. I also help them realize that this is a professional school and they should seek to gain some technical skills from each class they taken (verses focusing just on making the grade).

How the carrying themselves on a daily basis meshed with the skills they are learning should help them in creating their professional identity.

Manuela,
Communication is clearly something that everyone needs. We also need to realize the different types of communication, professional vs friendly.

Shelly Crider

Earl,
Professionalism cannot be spoken too much in our classes. I believe we can all attest to the fact that there are some businesses we have been in and would have liked to have discussed professionalism with those current workers!!

Shelly Crider

I have my students treat everyone as if they are a patient in the lab. They must introduce themselves and explain whatever procedure they are going to do. I think this helps them to think professionally when in the lab.

Sign In to comment