Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

EQ: Learned or Innate

If an individual does not have a high EQ, is this a trainable trait or is it a nature that we are born with. Some studies have been involved in teaching this to young students because their behaviors are not fully established, but is it possible for grown adults to acquire this soft skill?

Generalizations such as the Myers Briggs test group people's attributes of personality into dyadic separations usually based on emotions vs information. Changes that usually occur on this scale are not pendulum like.

In my experience, individuals with a low EQ can mimic behaviors of those with high EQ, but they are only emulating the behaviors as opposed to generating it themselves.

Any thoughts?

EQ is certainly trainable, though deep impressions are made in people at a very young age. Parents are the most important example - if the parental example is flawed, the young student will carry those tendencies thoughout much of their life.

However, even this can be undone. Just as passive-aggressive communication can be "unlearned," EQ can be consciously modified and improved if the student is aware and willing.

Andrew,
A good example of not settling. Thanks.
Philip Campbell

I'm inclined to think that IQ is genetic while EQ is an acquired skill.

Paul,
That is interesting that you feel IQ is genetic. I think that EQ is acquired as well. I think both can be impacted and manipulated by experiences.
Philip Campbell

I hope its not true that EQ is primarily inherited, with little chance for acquiring true EQ other than mimicing, which is how I interpret emulating in the context used in your comments. I can think of people who did seem to grow their EQ. For example, I sometimes see this after someone becomes a parent for the first time. Similarly, I believe some who previously exhibited low EQ seem to have increased it after falling in love. Sometimes people become inspired by a religious speaker or a motivational speaker. It brings to mind Dale Carnegie and the course that follows his teachings. Some people who have undergone a religious conversion certainly exhibit greater empathy, better management of emotions, and conflict resolution abilities undetected previously.
Studies of recent years have indicated that IQ can be increased in even older individuals, so why not EQ?

How does one go about raising one's EQ without it coming off as "fake"? If you can identify an individual with low EQ mimicking behaviors of one with High EQ, they have done little to raise their EQ.

Sign In to comment