Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good Listener

Listening skills are an incredibly important skill for teachers. It is difficult for a teacher to know what needs to be taught unless he can hear what is missing, what needs clarification and what is understood. If a class of any age feels the teacher does not hear them, their needs or their concerns, then the learning will suffer whether the teacher knows it or not.

I agree with your statement. Sometimes I get caught up in what needs to be covered and don't stop to make sure that everyone "gets it". I slow it down now and ask questions in the lecture to make sure that everyone is with me. I offer after clss tuitor time so the students don't have to feel embarrased if they don't get a concept.

Kimberly,
Good ideas and tactics go work with students. Often times we struggle to find out if everyone is getting it. By inquiring multiple times you will be more likely to catch those who are not getting it.
Philip Campbell

I ,too, fail to take the time to listen sometimes but I am getting better at it. Many times the students say something very phenomenaal or implies something in tone rather than words and this, then, can be acted upon with the appropriate feedback method. Listening is a skill that I work on everyday I am in the classroom.

An effective teacher checks for understanding, rather than content covered. Taking a moment to perform a class check may help as a pulse point for listening, understanding, or if students have checked out from listening.

Be willing to listen, don't answer your own questions as the instructor. Become comfortable with long pauses or student silence. Encourage feedback and it might magically happen. kg

Karen,
Good point. Understanding can be hard to get to when we are so worried about going over the content we need to.
Philip Campbell

Karen, thanks for sharing this piece of classroom management. I will practice this in my class in order to see if my students are on the same page as I ^_^

Good listener will build you a good relation with the students and co-workers more than a good responder. As I think of it, The people who I admire and respect around me everyday are all good listeners so I try to be also.

James,
Listening is a critical skill that our students thrive on. If we listen to them, then they feel important and valued.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment