Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing students who lack soft skills

I have found that some of my students are completely deficent in the area of soft skills. what is the most effective way to manage them, especially when they are violating rules.

Michael,
Great question, and i think a combination of being blunt about the bevaiors and role playing could be effective.
Philip Campbell

The overall purpose of most technical training is to prepare students for the workforce. Pointing out how their behavior will affect them in the future when they are employed can sometimes be the reality check they need. I had a student that repeatedly slept in class. He was not reponding to the usual repremands so I started calling out his name out loud enough to wake him, when he woke up and asked "what?" I told him he was fired! It took 2 more but he eventually got the point.

I also have found that soft skills are lacking with many of todays students. Welcome to gen "Y".Tact and respect seem to be a thing of the past.(I'm a "boomer"). If we reverse the roles, we become the bad guy, a bad example, a bad role model. I try to keep this in mind at all times. Are there times I've slipped? You bet I have, more times than I can count. Have any of these times felt good? Short term, maybe. Long term never. It's all about managing ourselves.

I do sometimes worry about some of the students who are not even willing to follow basic policies. It is very important to make them understand that they are not only in school to learn the technical skills , but we are trying to train a professional who has manners and soft skills. I make sure that I emphasize it every session. I try not to point out individuals in front of the class and address issues in private. Sometimes students don't even realize that they are doing something wrong. Instructors have to stay on top of these skills, our students future success depends on it.

Douglas,
Managing ourselves is a great idea.
Philip Campbell

Andrea,
Trying to convince the students that there is more to learn besides the technical skills can be challenging.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment