Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Your Emotions

Managing your emotions is a very important skill for everyone's success. As an instructor, if I can't manage my emotions, I don't know how I can even attempt to assist students in managing their emotions; especially when I have allowed myself to drop down to their level. In order to become the most effective and inspiring instructor that I can be, I must at all times, manage my emotions dispite what the situation is and how disrespectful a student is acting. Until I am able to understand how to manage my own personal emotions, is when, and only when I will be able to assist students and others with their emotional issue.

I remember when I started teaching 14 years ago,that I had no clue how to manage my emotions when dealing with disrespectful or disruptive students,who found challenging me in front of the class so much fun.I look back to those years,and were tough years,because I had to learn the hard way how to manage my emotions.I didn't have any previous teaching experience and never took a teaching methodology course before getting into teaching.I wish I knew back then what I know now,in terms of managing my emotions and even more.Oh,yes,I know how to manage my emotions ,and know how important this is to assist my students,and for the over all success in a classroom helping others change their lives by becoming successfull professionals.I rememeber it took me like a year or 2 to be able to manage my emotions...hehe..well,learned the hard way. :)

I have always started a new term by having a non-formal discussion with students about respect, constructive criticism, and growth while in the classroom. I like to stress that we are all adults and need to treat one another with the same respect, if not better, than we wish to be treated.

When I have had students "fight" me in or outside the classroom about grades, assignment due dates, etc., I try to stay calm; let them vent and when they have finished I ask, "Are you finished? If so I would like to speak now." Once they have vented and yelled if necessary, they are more apt to "discuss" issues and find common ground.

In some cases I have asked the student to leave until they can speak to me about the topic in a respectful way. That has worked. When you ask calmly for a student to walk away until they have calmed down, they come back realizing they lost their temper and need to show more respect to me and others if for no other reason than we are human.

Tangee,
Setting expectations early is an important skill in itself.
Philip Campbell

Students can very easily upset you or make you angry. It can take practice and experience before you learn to not let the bad behaviour upset you in the first place or not to show your anger if if it happens.

Chris,
A lot of times students try to find the easy way out. Not because they are trying to get something over on an instructor, but more because it is human nature these days to want to do something easy. Sometimes those behaviors are a result of this.
Philip Campbell

Yes there are times that a student will start to control my emotions. I have learned to take control of my emotions early in detection.

Ben ,
Good for you. This is a hard skill for some.
Philip Campbell

I've found that every time I think I have a good handle on managing my emotions a new student type shows up and I have a new emotion challenge to overcome. Recently I had a student that would not think for himself even with directions to do so, and I ended up very upset inside that I was beginning to get short with him. He would not take direction in any form I tried. Controlling emotions was a challenge for this student as he was pushing my buttons.

I've found that as an instructor students can really get on your nerves some day and are awesome the next. The problem is if I come to school in a bad mood because something happend at home it makes it more difficult to handle my emotions towards the students.

So what I've been doing is when I drive up the driveway up to school that I shut out everything that happend before I hit that driveway and when I leave the driveway I shut out everything that happend at school.

It helps me keep more of an emotional control over situations since I'm not taking on to much at once.

I think managing your emotions is a very big part of being a good instructor. I have seem many teachers come to work angry about something @ home and bring that into the class room which doesn't go over well w/ students

Tracy,
Very true. it is easy to get distracted by emotions.
Philip Campbell

As a new instructor without formal training, I find it a constant challenge to keep emotions under control. When I feel nervousness or anxiety welling up, I shut my mouth and take a deep breath before preceeding. Managing emotions in an appropriate manner in the classroom will be an ongoing lesson in self improvement. I may never perfect it but I can always strive to improve.

I have noticed when I enter the classroom with a positive, cheerful attitude the students grab on to it right away. If it takes me awhile to get to that place the tranistion during class is more challenging than if I begin in that frame of mind.

Sign In to comment