Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Becoming a Lifelong Learner

What strategies are you using to help your students to see how they can become lifelong learners?

I teach for a Pharmacy Technician program where medical information and computer technology are EVER changing. We have set curriculum that must be taught per pre-made syllabi and per school requirements.
I have found that the syllabi are great, but sometimes lacks in current Pharmacy Technician issues. I create many writing assignments that really helps the students to use their critical thinking skills. I provide them with current topics, but at the same time they are able to utilize their skills that they've learned in school.
The topics that I provide to the students are issues that could be considered continuing education for any current medical provider. I present these issues in such a way that the students know that these are real current issues because I've had to know, study, and learn about these issues as a Pharmacy technician.

I teach Massage Therapy. The information isn't changing as fast as it would for a Pharmacist but still it changes. In order to give the students the most up to date information I have to stay on top of the changing ideas. I take continuing education courses and do a lot of reading. Sometimes our books are not current so I prepare my own material for the students to learn and study. This helps a lot. I've found that since I've started taking more classes myself, I have more to offer to my students.

Amanda,
Thank you for adding the critical thinking skills. This is so important.

Shelly Crider

Emily,
Information is power! The more you know, the more you can teach others. I think that is awesome!!

Shelly Crider

I enjoy explaining to my healthcare students that medicine and medical advances are constantly changing. It is extremely important for them to be life-long learners due to this reason. I give them specific examples of early medical discoveries....anesthesia, penicillin, tetanus and various vaccines and then compare that to robotic surgery that is used today. The changes in medical treatment in just the last 100 years is truly amazing. I given an assignment that asks them what are some potential advances that the student might see developed in their own lifetime. Answers are always interesting!

Cheryl,
It is truly amazing! I like this assignment as well. This really makes the students think!

Shelly Crider

I teach Medical Billing & Coding. Once students graduate, they are encouraged to sit for their certification as a coder. I begin early on by explaining to them that continuing education is a requirement after certification. I also try to share websites and daily newsletters (from reliable sources)with information related to the topic we are discussing in class that day. I encourage students to attend the AAPC local chapter meetings (I attend as well). They learn while they are at the meeting, so their also receive class credit for their attendance. Student are able to get a 1st hand experience as well as network with professionals in their field.

Mary,
Excellent post. We all love resources and being able to share with our students is excellent!

Shelly Crider

Actually, this is fairly easy for me due to my core group of students. With technology changing from literally moment to moment, software upgrades coming out every 12 to 18 months, and with competition becoming more fierce, I am able to easily demonstrate how they can never become complacent.

Richard,
This is oh so true! The more we show students how and why technology changes and why we need to keep up, the more we keep students in school.

Shelly Crider

During lecture and also in lab skills, we often discuss what existed "when I was first starting in the Medical Field" compared to the way things are done now. We discuss how rapidly the technology has changed, protocols and constantly changing information regarding medications; what is new on the market, new info on drug side effects and those now found to be a "Bad Drug". I also encourage further education by describing something I've learned in my lastest CEU class.

Travis,
oh I like this!! You could also use...."when I was young"

Shelly Crider

In the automotive field where I teach the students are constantly shown how technology changes, each new model year brings out new ideas and systems to learn. I show how keeping up with these changes is vital to their professional career and financial gain. Usually when you talk money, you have their attention.

Phillip,
That is a perfect example of ever changing technology! People forget that automobiles have computers and change constantly!

Shelly Crider

I try to relate their communications skills to something concrete, like job interviewing.

Liza,
Job interviewing is an excellent way to relate communication!

Shelly Crider

I teach in the criminal justice field, which like every profession is constantly changing. First, I give my students examples of how things have changed since I sat in their seats.

I am also an adjunct instructor, so I am still a full time law enforcement officer. I strongly believe that in any profession you must continue to seek knowledge to make yourself better at what you do. My students know that I routinely go to training and when it is relavant I take time in class to talk about what I have learned or experienced in our field.

I love the idea of being a lifelong learner, because I am. Helping my students to see how school will make them curious is one of the first steps. And then giving them the ability to locate resources to explore their curiosity. With the technological resources available, it is amazing to see what you can find with the click of a few buttons.
So, in my classroom I help them understand what lifelong learning means, and then we discuss strategies for making it happen.

Jeremy,
Personal experience is such a good learning tool. There are time when, as a student, we are actually misled my by a book.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment