Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lesson Plans

I have found that if I spend too much time working out every detail in a lesson plan my lectures come out very boring. For me it is best to write a quick list of ideas that need to be covered and then wing it. This method is more interesting for me and the students get a truly live show.

Hi Llewellyn,
Every instructor has to find his/her instructional preparation and style. Sounds like you have found yours.
Gary

Increased flexibility in the classroom allows me to adapt to any situation which presents itself. It also creates opportunities for teaching topics which are of greater interest to the students.

I can certainly relate, I have at times tried to figure out so many of the details that it lead to focusing on making sure I was covering all this detail and not effectively teaching.

Question on lesson plans:

After you've created a lesson plan and then used it in class, do you have any suggestions on how best to evaluate the effectiveness not only following that specific class but establishing some kind of routine to constantly evaluate and improve my lesson plan?

Hi Stewart,
There are several things that I do to help me evaluate my instructional efforts.
After I teach a lesson, have students complete a project and/or an assignment I give out 3x5 cards to each student. I then ask them to comment on what they thought of the assignment, lesson, etc. They do not sign the cards. They hand them in and I reveiw them later. I have found the students do an excellent job of giving me feedback. I learn what works, how to improve the directions, etc. There is no stress on the students and as a result I get candid input. I have never had anything but positive feedback from the students, meaning they give me candid assessments of what they think of the assignments.
The other thing I do is to keep a notebook of my lectures and demonstrations. After I complete a lecture I make notes about how I think things went, how I can improve and changes I need to make. When I am planning for the course again I can take those notes and make the class better. Another tip is that I jot down several key points at the end of class and then when I am getting ready to put together a unit test I can turn those notes into test questions. This way I don't have to set down and think about the entire unit and try and come up with test questions.
Hope this suggestions will be of help to you.
Good Teaching!
Gary

I hear ya! I am very detail oriented and tend to "over-teach."

The 3x5 cards are a great idea. I hate finding out at the end of a semester, that someone has had issues the whole time, and I was unaware of it. Getting input early I think would go a long way to correcting that situation.
I also like the idea of self assessment notes kept directly after classes.

I find that the "live shows" is what makes students participate and sit up and take notice...I agree....instructors who read off detailed outlines, lose the attention within minutes...but take into consideration...if it is a topic you have no direct knowledge of...or have never taught before...this task is a difficult one...but as you teach the same course over and over again...it gets much easier.
Dr. Lynne

Hi Stephen,
Glad the suggestions are working out for you. They are based upon years of experience of trying to stay on top of the climate in my classes. Sometimes it is hard to do and they techniques help with that.
Gary

I agree with you Dr. Gary, completing project, assignment, 3X5 cards, keep notebook of lectures and demonstrations are all wonderful suggestions. I believe a careful and well-planed lesson plan give students a better directions and help theme relate better to our lecture and its contents.

Hi Abdul,
Good and careful planning will help reduce student frustration and will make teaching much easier. Based upon your experience, what do you think is the most important type of planning an instructor can do for class?
Gary

Hi Llewellyn,

I agree with you. I tried a very structured and ridged lesson plan which just didn't work. I now refer to a list of points I want to cover and as you say "wing it."

Chuck

The lesson plan is very important and necessary to provide you with a guide for managing the learning environment and a roadmap for secuencing the instructional process.

Sign In to comment