Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharing Student Grades

Other than on the last day of the course(s) you teach, how many times do you share the cumulative scores with your students to let them know their status? Why is this of benefit to you and/or your students?

Hi Steve:
If there is software to support this, a student can check their progress 24/7. When not available, or when relying on manual systems, I think it's most impotant to let students who are not performing up to speed be informed frequently regarding their status. This also give the instructor a chance to connect some with the student and maybe offers suggestions for improvements.

Regards, Barry

When I was teaching I shared the scores cumulative scores as they requested them or when a student was in jeopardy. To me it helped me coach a student before it was too late to turn their grades around if they were in trouble. It also allowed me the opportunity to ask them what happened which sometimes led to outside issues that we could assist them with. For the students, seeing their grades served as a motivation to do better or gave them a sense of accomplishment if they were meeting their goals.

Hi Misty:
I think pretty much everyone like to know how their boss or teacher or spouse, or whomever, thinks about how they're doing at regular intervals and on an ongoing basis. Besides personal dialog, open class dicussion, and written comments from the teacher, grades at a point in time help illuminate progress made to date.

I like your idea of coaching, as it gives a student an opportunity to improve before the final grades are to be reported.

Regards, Barry

i try to share withmy students there grades at least once during a phase, or anytime i feel they are in jeaperdy of falling behind the rest of the class for any reason.
better student retention less likely to hour out or accedemically fail

Hi Ernest:
Great! Students like to know where they stand in a class. I think this contributes to their degree of motivations - especially if the instructor is willing to share some encouragement along with the grading information.

Regards, Barry

I can and will give a student his scores if he asks me. I will show a student with low test scores his grade while he still has time to improve it. Normally I will inform students of their grades when we reach a point where we have a total such as all 10 point tests have been taken a we can now relate his test scores to his end phase total. This tends to keep some students focused on the task at hand. There is no set number of times that I give out grades in my class. Our grading system pretty much makes our grades from the final week of class the most important to a majority of students.

Hi Bob:
I'm sure your students appreciate the fact that you are willing to provide up-to-date information about their grades on a frequent and as-needed basis. Not all are. But you are right, doing so only provides an opportunity to improve the score while there is still time. Good post!

Regards, Barry

I keep in touch with the students grades and connect with the one that are struggling each day. The students that can be successful by themselves I do a weekly connection with to help them succeed. B Iverson

Hi Brad:
Seems like you've got a great way of connecting and relating to your students. I'm sure they recognize that you care for their success and that attribute nearly always contributes to better student learning.

Regards, Barry

I try and review grades at the end of each week. This allow any questions concerning grades to be adressed at this time. It also allows the student to ask questions on an individual basis.

Hi Kenneth:
Great - reviewing grades at the end of each week is the kind of frequency that will assure to you and your students they are (or are not) grasping the needed course material. Reviewing really takes so little time but is usually mostly appreciated by your students. Good Job!

Regards, Barry

When I was teaching I would typically share cumulative scores with students, privately and individually at the mid point in the course. I would also take this time to bring their attention to any past due assignments and to coach any students who were at risk of failure. In addition to the mid course meeting, I would meet with all students prior to the final exam and individuals anytime during the course when I determined that a particular student was in jeopardy.

it depends on the situation .i normally only share a grade with a student if he or she asks for the info or if i believe there is a chance that they might be in trouble/failing because of a test/lab/grade problem. it seems to work fine for me this way, i hardly ever get problems from students about their grades or arguments about them because i cover it so well at the beginning of the phase/class.

Hi Patrick:
Great! I think you've covered all of the essential bases. Your students can only benefit from this direct, personal "hands-on" approach to facilitating their learning.

Regards, Barry

Hi Bill:
Some students don't care about their grade unless they think they may be failing. This may be because they feel they can't change it anyway. Personnaly, I think the more information we can provide to students, the better they'll do.

Regards, Barry

I give the students a form called a requirement sheet for each student or myself to record the grades they recieved on each lab and test then as the student goes thru the course they can see where they are in relation to the points available at all times and if they ask I will show them what I have which will match the requirenment sheet they have. I feel this eliminates the stress of wondering how am I doing in this course. I have had a lot of good feedback on this from the students they like to know wherer they sit at all times.

Hi William:
Sounds like something good that works for you. I would presume that students are permitted to question how and why they received a particular grade. If that's the case, they should feel informed on their progress, and have an idea about what can be done to improve their grade.

Regards, Barry

I grade the tests when they turn them in, so they should know how they're doing. I also use the advise forms to let them know when they aren't doing well. Any time a student wants to see his grades I make them available.

Hi Douglas:
Great! Keeping students informed and giving them access when requested will help strengthen your relationship and help weaker students know where they stand and what needs to improve. It also gives you an opportunity to comment, if applicable.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment