Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

visitors

visitors to your class are a benifit to your class if you pick a good interesting person.
He/she should have an interest in the field you are instucting. they can motivate students to do better, if they give the students an idea of what is expected of them in their future careers.

Hi Jack:
Visitors can compliment whatever is going on for that days activities. Sometimes, they can be drawn into discusions or simply there as observers. They can provide an opportunity for the students to demonstrate their knowledge - kind of like showing off, but in a good way.

Mostly, having knowledge they can lend to interested students will be the bigget contribution a visitor can make, in most instances.

Regards, Barry

I agree that a good interesting visitor benefits the class. I also believe it helps students see that what is being learned in class, is what someone still out in the field is doing. So it brings some more importance to what is being taught.

Hi Clayton:
Rarely is a visitor a distraction. It does reinforce the importance of the lesson material, and is generally well received by students.

Regards, Barry

I like to have vistors come into my class especially my previous students that have had some time in the field. they bring back info to the rest of the class can benefit from.

Hi Alfredo:
Awesome! When good students who are working in the field are able to share their stories of struggles and success, the current students can easily visualize themseselves in a similar situation. When the guest says something like, "and I learned everything I needed here in school" - wow, you couldn't purchase better motivational or inspired comments.

Regards, Barry

Visitors can and do bring a piece of reality to your class room. Some students are not sure of themselves and may show signs of disinterest at times. The contributing visitor to the class can act to shock some students to reality. ie: A manager for a BMW dealership was addressing a class as a guest and saw one student nodding off. The guest stopped asked, the student his name and then said to the students assembled in the classroom. "You will never work for me or any BMW dealer." A wake up call? You bet! The rest of the class got the message too.

Hi Rich:
Wow! That kind of directness will definetely get everyone's attention! But I think you've introduced a good point, that is that visitors can bring a dose of reality that is sometimes not appreciated by the students to their regular faculty.

Regards, Barry

I have had a local cheese monger to a lecture and tasting. The cheeses would be passed around and he would discuse the cheese maker,history, prosses and flavor profile. It was one of the most exiting days for the students and I think that they took a great deal away from it.

Hi Jason:
Using personal experiences like this every so often can be interesting and even inspiring to students. They get to hear from someone different and the visitor represents the real world whose opinions and comments are likely to have significance to the students and be remembered.

Regards, Barry

Along the same lines as Mr. Garcia, vistors that can tell the students what is expected of them and what to expect is most helpful. Also students who have left and are out in the field that can relate to them who thngs have been for them and again how things really are.

Hi Dean:
Yes, the power of an outside speaker. It's interesting the regular teacher could say many similar things and the student would not remember, but the students remember guest speakers and their message.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment