Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Anticipating Problems

For the most part, our students are wonderful young people and our experience with them is/ if we do a good job - positive and rewarding. Everyone, however, has occasional problems, and a few issues can eat up enomrous amounts of time and energy.

*Maintain good documentation of things such as attendance, work submitted, copies of communications with students.
*Make your expectations clear and follow your own policies.

Hi Samuel:
Good points, all. You're right that just as in the workplace, supervisors end up spending 80% of their time with 20% of their workers. So it often is with students who we end up spending much more time because of their dificiencies or unwillingness to put in the necessary effort.

Regards, Barry

Setting rules and policies at the beginning gives the students your expectations of them.You set the enviornment by doing this which the students will respect. Being fair and impartial will lead to success of the students learning. They will not have to worry about the instructors abilities to control the classroom and can concentrate on the curriculum.

Hi Jason:
Great point. Just as all adults in the workplace, we have rules and are expected to follow them. Same idea for the classroom. Inform as much as possible and students will tend to want to follow the rules, at least most students, and most rules. Of course, ther's always going to be those few. But that's where you get the opportunity to clarify your expectations once again. Usually works pretty well.

Regards, Barry

Samuel makes a profound but often overlooked point: maintain good documentation. And, I would add: time/date everything. It is amazing how valuable a date can be in resolving a misunderstanding.

Hi Earnest:
Point taken - Regards, Barry

I find that even a simple email a week before class starts relives a lot of anxiety. Not only what is needed as far as textbook and materials but even a reminder of basic soft skills can help lighten the mood.

This also prevents a lot of the same questions about expectations at the first day of class.

Hi Vince:
Sure! Some teachers will form email groups where the same message is sent to a ceratin group of students. But even individual emails show the student the teacher cares and is interested in their success.

Regards, Barry

I agree. Let the students know from the very begining what is expected of them, and what to do if they cannot meet those expectations should drasticly cut down on problems.

Hi Donna:
I think we all realize students are people first, right? And I think basic human nature operates better when what is expected of them is known in advance, and then those guideline are followed. As it is is in life, so it is in a classroom. And I think students want to know what the rules are (even though they don't always follow them) and rely on us as teachers to provide guidence.

Regards, Barry

I agree - I like to keep my records on a flash drive - including spreadsheets on attendance, course pacing guides, and grades.

Hi John:
Sure, these are example of proactive planning and preparation; anticipating the worst.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment