Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

evaluation methods

I believe that evaluation methods can be the most difficult part of the teaching process simply because numbers on a single line deduce a student's educational profile. That's why I also do invididual conferencing throughout the semester/quarter. In fact, I do at LEAST three of the course of the semester/quarter and I find that to be a very effective method both for me as the instructor and my students.

Hi Ann:
In one sense, when an instructor gives a test, it's the one time that they can't fulfill their role as instructor.

Rationing out course work to help even out the grade is probably a great idea in settings that promote or allow that kind of flexibility.

Unfortunately, not all have that luxury.

Regards, Barry

Evaluating a students gained knoledge is somtimes difficult because all students are not always good at taking a written test. We also give the student a hands on tactile test that can show if they have learned the material. There are many tests that I have taken that I feel were more a play on words rather than a test of my gained knoledge.

Hi John:
Right. If there are skill involved there should be skills test. For theory or facts and figures, written quizzes or tests are probably more relevant. But there can also be graded discussions, wriiten papers, PPT presentations, on-line chats, and so on. These are just a few examples.

Regards, Barry

I really appreciate the evaluations because they give me more insight into what can be more emphasized and improved upon the next course.

Hi Ann:
Good point. Sometimes we have to have the "heart of a dove and the skin of a rhino". Student evaluations (critiques) of faculty can be very humbling. In my experience I've found I try to see what underlying truth there may be in a particuarly unfavorable comment or rating. Many times (but not always), I can find some truth, and I'll modify the way I do that activity the next go around.

Of course, we all like to get 100%'s or really nice compliments. That's nice, but I would like to improve as an instructor. Students provide us with those eyes in the back of my head. I try to get 20/20 vision whenever I can!

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment