Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Being ready for class.

I have noticed several habits amongst my peers concerning class readiness. One of which is timeliness. Sometimes we forget that every time counts, and we get involved in our other duties forgetting that there are students expecting to start class on time. If I were to attempt to get buy in from my peers, what might be the most effective selling point?

making up tests

i will only allow students to make up tests if they are having a valid excuse for their absence. this will make them also more aware of how important it is to study and to be in class and be responsible for their own actions.kind of like it is in real life.

back up plan

I have to have a back up plan, not just because of materials used, but many times certain classes are way faster learners than others,and then you will need extra materials to keep the faster classes interested, or you will loose them.

learning

a good way of including all students in class of making sure they are learning is to periodically review with all students ( whole class) what everyone is or should be doing at that time

have your classroom ready

I see so many instructors coming in shortly bebore class starts, which makes me wonder how one can be ready for class. i for one like to be there at least one hour in advance, so i can prep for my leccture and demo. and yes , sometimes it will not take an hour to do so, but at least i feel comfortable and ready to start class

Class Prep

The first impression given to your students is critical – if organized and well prepared it will be appositive one.

By asking students there opinion of the course, it can help to determine if any adjustments need to be made, it may be instructor delivery or the content of the curriculum.

Grading

Grading varys from school to school and class to class so it is important to make the details of the way you plan to grade assignments very clear to all the students.

Troubleshooting Instructional Strategies

Having a back up plan is a great idea because there are days that things wont go like they should

Present Material

Power Point slides provide an instructor the means to present material that will appeal to all learning types

Being a role model

The importance of being a role model is inportment When we keep the students interests as our main focus, they're going to respond favorably.

I engage the students by using different methods, showing props to hand out, raising and lowering my voice, calling on them to answer a question, walking around the room during discussion.

evaluations of students

I more or less agree with the content detailed in this lesson. However, I am not confident that it needs to be as complicated as detailed with so many versions of evaluation. I like the point system, IE: 100 points per test and the test results in my mind detail what the students were able to learn from the lessons presented in the class. I do agree that extra points can be earned for student participation in the class, homework etc. I also feel that points should be deducted for poor attendance, tardiness and non participation, as this puts forth… >>>

keeping students interested

It is often necessary to speak of actual field experiences, hypothetic or actual. particularly problamatic situations, cause and effect insidents that may have taken place. and what is or could be a solution to these situations. make it a game and work it out with the class in groups. see who has the best solutions and why?.

Preparing for class ahead of time keeps everything rolling smoothly.

Some claification on grading please

This is copied directly from this course; "Make sure you know the evaluation policy of your college. You have to be consistent with it. Often college grading policies reflect only the end result, meaning a point score, letter grade, or percentage listing that will be posted as a part of a student's permanent transcript. If this is the case you then have the freedom to develop a system that will enable you to come up with this end result for each student while using a number of different evaluation methods within your class." The last sentence to me seems to… >>>

field trips

Field trips are most productive, if/when they are related to the subject that is being taught prior to the field trip exposure. after the fact field trips are often scheduled out of sync with the classroom training. what are your thoughts on this?.

experience versus capability

many instructors are very capable academically but have limited field or work experience in their particular field. Student's seem to recognize these traits and pick up on them. how do we handle questions like? IE: how long have you been working in this field?. What is your background, are you a qualified journeyman etc, etc. in this field?

make up tests

i give make up tests at the end of the course (3 weeks). all makes up are given at one time and than graded. i use a different test for make ups but it covers the material equally. the make up tset can be a test that is also use for regular testing but not the test i used this course.

backup plans for all courses

you should always have a back up plan for any course or lesson that you are instructing. there can be many outside interruptions that will lead to a change in your lesson for the day. EX. a fire alarm, an unscheduled meeting for instructors and or students. you will need a plan to cover these ocassions.