Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Choosing Test Questions which are relevant to the subject covered

A student approached me upset, the other day and asked me why there were 2 questioned on an exam, that she had just taken. The subject was American Cuisine and the two questions were about 3 types of mushrooms found in a region and the other about a famous fish market in the Northwest. Her point was that she had studied all of what she thought was relevant and did not find those particular questions relevant.She said, of all the questions that could of been asked, why those?. I researched the test and discovered that the 2 questions were covered in class and are nessasary questions for students to know. The toal exam covered definition, skill competencies and "point of interest" which these 2 questions fall into, they both relate the regions covered. After another discussion, this student admits that she always were remember these 2 answers and will always remember this exam.

Hi Paul:
Sound like the student learned a good lesson, and retained needed information, albeit in a very round about way.

Some teachers will conduct exam reviews before a test, not to reveal test questions or answers, but to provide overviews of more pertinent or need to know vs. nice to know kind of information. This technique can help instructors assess the student learning of material they consider important or essential.

Regards, Barry

I believe it is imnportant for the istructor to identify or signify in some way what the important points of interest really are. We can certainly never test re: every fact discussed in a class but we need to be careful to not brush quickly past topics that we know are identified as important by the upcoming test. In this case how did the student evaluate what they thought were the important points on which to focus? It seems the instructor should a bit more clear in regard to what will be evaluated and ensure the class is fully aware of the information.

Hi William:
There's probably a little bit of "need to know" and "nice to know" in every class. Directing emphasis to the need to know followed by assessment seems would provide the best barometer of the students learning.

Regards, Barry

The only advice that I would give in relation to this situation is that it is always helpful to provide the students with a detailed test review.This can be presented in class by the Instructor or through the student portal. I have always liked students to know exactly what is sxpected of them on written exams.The only exception to this might be "theory" type questions...

Hi Andrea:
Yeas, test reviews can be helpful as they telegrapgh to students what emphasis there might be and clarifies any points still murky to the students. Clear expectations will always provide the shortest distance to student compliance.

Regards, Barry

I make sure before i make up lectures that i have a copy of each test that will be given and i incorporate all questions (highlighted) in my lectures. This is how i can make sure i cover and emphasize all material that will be tested on. If a high percent of students miss a question i go back to be sure it was covered. If it was my mistake i must correct by discounting question.

Hi Barbara:
Highlighting your notes to be later used as questions sounds like a great idea!

Regards, Barry

I do something similar. I will make up a review sheet and go over it two days before the test and have the students research their notes to find the best answer.

To make sure they actually HAVE good notes, on test day I have them turn the notebooks in to me. I don't grade them, but I will put notes here and there while reviewing them so the info is there.

I often find sentences that are not finished and may be missing a key point and will write down that key point for them, even though the test on that info has come and gone.

Hi Gary:
Your conscientious efforts can only pay off by improved student learning outcomes.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment