Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

powerpoint

powerpoint is a very nice form of instuction because it can be easily updated with out redoing the complete lesson.

Hi Jack:
Boy, slides definitely are easier to update, especially compared to the older methods of making photographic slide presentations. This nice feature should provide up-to-date information for the students.

One technique I use occasionally will be to pull something from the local daily papers, or internet that is like news that's breaking that day, and insert it into the current set of slides. Just that little bit suggests that the following presentation is going to be current and fresh.

Regards, Barry

I am concerned with the message pertainng to PP Presentations, specifically, the 5 bullet point rule. The slide in the lesson has a total of 14 bullet points. I'm not really sure what message is being conveyed to us as the students of this course., i.e., Modeling Behavior???

Hi Glen:
Yeah, that does seem a bit inconsistent, doesn't it. I am not the author of the lesson so I cannot comment directly. But I might conclude that the lessons in this course are not really PPT's - more continuous dialog in a wriiten format intended for an online audience.

This might be something you'd like to put in your post course comments.

Regards, Barry

I also like to use powerpoint for my lectures as my students are very computer-savy and they appreciate this mode of instruction. However, I don't always have access to a projector and often have to compete with other instructors to check one out. This becomes an issue with the administration as we are told that there isn't any funds available for equipment purchase.

Hi Nicole:
What you describe is a frequent occurence. I remember when we used to have the same problem with overhead projectors.

Although less then desirable, I know some instructor who print of overhead versions of their PPT slides and in the event an LCD projector is not available, they usually can round up an overhead projector.

Regards, Barry

I was presenting power point's but with way to much information. I will start power point's again but only with information that is needed.

The thing I like about powerpoints is that if you keep them simple, you can draw in your students with information not on the boards. It is extremely important to make them interesting with real examples, other visuals, maybe even a walk to the lab to see the slide in real life. The Power point is not the lesson but rather a tool to help with it.

Hi Andrea:
Good brief, short, bulleted points wiork best. You can always amplify, refer the students to the text - whatever. PPT is just a tool, while you are the instructor.

Regards, Barry

Hi Nathaniel:
Great point. Drawing in your students engages them, which produces a higher quality of learning than most. Teaching provides the best learning. So the closer we can get the student behaving like an instructor (peer tutorials, mentoring, aides, etc), the more effective their learning will be.

Regards, Barry

Our institution discourages modifications of the packaged curriculum powerpoint presentation. However, we are free to create our own as suppliment to the established curriculum.

I use the packaged presentations as a jumping off point of each lecture and flesh out the information with supplemental documents and personal insight/experience. Otherwise, the Instructor is simply reading the same text that the student has in front of them in their book.

That's just narating, not instructing.

Mike

Hi Mike:
Right. PPT at best is a supplement to the needed information the instructor provides to the students - should not be the focus of attention.

Regards, Barry

PowerPoint can be an effective tool if used correctly. By elaborating and adding depth to the slide, you can create discussion points. It is also important when using this media to incorpate all four learning styles into your lecture. Otherwise, you have the potential to leave students behind.

What are some other PPT delivery methods that you use?

Hi Walter:
PPT can be a pwerful tool if it is not overused or poorly formatted. Reveal is a nice feature. This lets one point at a time appear on a single slide. Generally, larger fonts with no more than 5-6 points should be used. If there is going to be discussion or a period away from the PPT (say, when using the whiteboard), there should be a blank slide (black screen) ready to not distract from the movement from the slide to the board and back. Finally, if the PPT lesson has a lot of technical points, its a good idea to periodically insert a summary slide to assist reviewing "here's what we've been talking about for the past 15 minutes".

Regards, Barry

I agree...and again PPT help keep the class focused on the topic. Plus, as astudy tool, they can help the student focus on what they need to go over in the other resouces.

Hi Susan:
PPT can be a real assistance in the classroom. It also has it downfalls. Careful planning and delivery precautions will help assure only the best presentations occur.

Regards, Barry

In the culinary field, where I teach and which changes so often, I do appreciate the ability to change the presentantion without re-doing the entire power point. It helps me keep my lectures up to date and the students feel that they are getting the freshest information or insight to their fast paced chosen career field.

Hi Robert:
Good plan! If I have a basic PPT, I can add just a slide or two that is information "hot off the press", such as a current newspaper or magazine article, journal, new equipment, or something recent from the profession. This keeps the PPT fresh and the students feel like they're getting the latest information.

Regards, Barry

sometimes hard to do with limited computers. this is a great way though to show yoiur lecture via a different source. printing out your powerpoint so the studnet has the opportunity to take notes is imperative.

Hi Raegan:
PPT's can be a wonderful adjunct to almost any topic - provided it's formatted properly, is interesting, uses images along with words, and is not too long (or breaks are provided). You're right, as a break from other delivery methods, PPT can be a terrific change of pace.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment