Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Make up Exams

When a students is absent for an exam,it's a good idea to give them a different axam than the original,to keep them honest.....

Hi Alcide:
Different versions of exams that cobver the same material are a great way to insure the integrity of the testing format. An instructor may elect to simply move the order of the questions around, to reversing the answer and question, to providing wholly new questions. The trick with new questions is to assure that the same level of difficulty and similar course content are being given.

Regards, Barry

I COMPLETLY AGREE

Hi Wilma:
There is a lot of variety that is possible with make-up exams, beyond what is described here.

The key is to ensure that the student is being tested on relative material, not stuff they should know, but stuff they were taught. If they weren't taught completely or thoroughly it would be unfair to test them on what they're supposed to know.

If instructors stick to teaching to the course objectives, testing should be an easier job.

Regards, Barry

yes keeping them honest is the key because they will swap answer between them. changing up the exam and not just the order of the questions is also inportant.

Hi Anthony:
Sadly, it seems no matter how hard an instructor will try to maintain the integrity of testing resources, they'll always be some who try to beat the system. Your idea is a good one, among many others.

Regards, Barry

I think that it is only fair to deduct some points from the makeup exam, with the exception of a documented emergency, to prevent the student from getting an unfair advantage over the other students. A different version and the loss of points will motivate students to live up to their scheduled appointments.

I allow make up exams on the next to last day of the course. I give a comparable exam to the student that would not be compromised by others who have taken the original. I have seen in the past that students do help one another out but having the exam at the end reduces the likelyhood for cheating.

Hi Thomas:
I tend to agree. Students have to begin to assume responsibility, and here's a way to introduce it into their daily lessons.

Regards, Barry

Hi Jason:
Putting in a little extra work in the preparation of examinations pays off by limiting the opportunity for students to be dishonest.

Regards, Barry

I agree that giving a different version of a test to students who might have missed an exam keeps everyone honest.

Hi Michael:
Testing is always a challenge. It's the one time we can't be teachers and the student has to demonstrate how effective we've been as educators. Using different tests begs the question, "how do I assure the different version is similar in depth and difficulty. Good instructors will have a bank of questions they can draw from that can help address this situation.

Regards, Barry

Yes, and it should NOT be just the same questions, in a different order. A student who missed a test will most often ask his peers:"What was on the test ?"A make-up test should be different questions on the same subject matter.

Hi Craig:
Good thoughts. Many automated test banks allow you to do this with just a couple of key strokes on a computer. But if those arn't availsble, using different questions, or different order, or different colored paper - all of these suggest to the student taht something is different. It'll get them to think more about the test.

Regards, Barry

It is impossible to assure that two different tests are the same level of difficulty. This really is hard to do. You can only attempt to do this. What one students knows may not be what another students knows. It really is just luck of the draw. Instructors can only do their best.

Hi Deborah:
There are two prblems with make-up tests - creating the test, and grading the test. Some instructors feel a grade penalty should be assessed for taking a make up exam. Maybe that helps offset the difficulty you describe in assuring for test are fair. I agree, it's hard to assure the same level of difficulty.

Regards, Barry

I agree with this. The exam can be similar but, changed enough so that it keeps everyone honest.

Hi Charmaine:
It's unfortunate that teachers have to resort to creative ways to prevent their students from cheating or getting an advantages with assessments and tests. But studies indicate more students are willing to chance cheating, and in some institutions, the penalty is not enough incentive for students not to try.

Many electronic testing systems (and grading systems) automatically mix up the question order to attempt to prevent "busy eyes" looking at anothers paper. This is probably a step in the right direction.

Regards, Barry

I have quizes and tests.

Quizes must be made-up right away the next class session in a separate room or no credit is given. The first thing I do the next class meeting is to discuss each question on the quiz with the students to help them understand the material further.

Tests are worth much more than quizes, but I do not hand them back nor do I discuss the answers. The students just see theie scores. This allows for perfect consistency between the students who took the test and those who had to make it up. It also allows me to calculate a longitudinal curve for the test.

Hi Andrew:
School and class policies for make up on tests really vary. What you're doing seems fine. Among all the different policies, I come back to the purpose, and that is to measure the level of learning that has occured. There needs to be some kind of structure and policicy, but it gets simplified if you just look at what we're trying to achieve.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment