Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Training and Instruction?

How do you differentiated instruction in your classroom?

Hi Samuel:

I view instruction as the challenge to meet the student learning outcomes (SLO's). By using all my resources towards that end I feel I acheive success in promoting student successfulness.

Regards, Barry

I vary my instruction by using the projector to show the students how to complete the tasks and they do it with me. I also discuss the different steps necessary to complete the tasks and some students offer suggestions which leads to questions and class discussion. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can move around the room (a bit) while covering the topic. I have in times past had a student complete the steps on the main the computer while I talked about the steps and helped other students. Some students like be in front of the class. I never force anyone to do anything on the presentation computer. I like to move around the room because it helps keep everyone on task and helps me help students.

Ahhh, good old DI. Actually, I received much training on DI when I taught high school, but I've found it works equally well (if not better) in college. First, I use an assessment to gauge readiness levels in the subject (usually a written paragraph or an open discussion on public speaking, depending on the class). Then, I uses discussion of past experiences to gauge attitudes toward learning and towards the subject. Finally, I use an activity to determine what learning styles my students posses. There usually exists several delivery media I can use to get the material across so that they all can approach the same tests with confidence. If not, I can create a mixture of styles to reach everyone's personal knowledge, readiness, and learning styles.

Sign In to comment