Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attention

The most important aspect of lecture is to keep the students interest,and have them actively involved......

Hi Alcide:
Quite correct! The more involved the student is in their learning, the more likely they'll retain key information, and ultimately, do better on exams in class perform better as an employee.

Regards, Barry

I've been trying to build up my file of interest-driven activities that I can pull out when my students are distracted or have lost focus. I like to break them up into small groups and get a little competition going between them.It always seems to jump-start their attention and keeps them energized.

Hi Nicole:
Great idea. I have found that most activities that engage students and that makes them participate in some way is usually received well by the students too. The friendly competition thing is both fun and usually instructional too.

Regards, Barry

Yes students tend to get bored and or loose focus after about 45 mins if the material being taught seems to be very wordy. It is important to implement activities within the lesson to keep students interested in the material being taught.

Hi Mia:
I use "change-ups" frequently as I can. A change up is a momentary swith from one form of delivery or media to another, such as moving from a PPT, to the white board, to discussion, to demonstration, and so forth. Students like the variety and it helps keep their attention by regularly refocusing on the topic - keeping the students on task.

Regards, Barry

I always expect feedback from the students because when the are involved, they are less likely to become bored

Hi Latissha:
Keeping students attention nis vitaql to their optimal learning. Getting feedback is certainly onew waty for students to share how much they believe they benefited from a class. As you say, boring is boring.

Regards, Barry

I have a much easier time keeping students attention if I allow the students a break every 45 minutes and have a different activity prepared for when they come back.

Hi Alison:
I like breaks and also like to know at the beginning of a class when the breaks will be and how long the teacher gives us. As adults, we expect nothing less, so same for our students I say.

Adding variety, having students participate, and grading based on learning, to me, are the basic ways you keep students attention and alert to the course objectives.

Regards, Barry

That is true. They tend to shift and be distracted after a while. I redirect their attention to a different activities or make a joke to get back their attention.

Hi Fred:
Jokes, humor, stories are good. Solid attention really lasts about as long as students are comfortable in their seats. So moving around, even if it's just stopping and stretching, or having student stand to read, describe, or vocalize something. One of many, many techniques.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment