Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Back-ups

Back-up plans are a must! I did not run into an issue with this area of education until my second year of teaching. Past experiences typically left me with too little time, NEVER too much time. Fortunately, I was able to recover, but that was the first and ONLY time I will walk into a classroom without a back-up plan!

Hi Ann:
Yes! That's the kind of experience you want to have in the past!

One way to think about back up plans is to think as if a substitute was to take your class for a day. You may or may not want the sub to engage much in the current lesson. But you want the students time to be productive. So, what is it that someone can pull off a sheld with short notice and deliver with relatively little training? That is one approach to back up.

Of course, we want to be prepared for we are present and our resources and tools get funky on us.

Regards, Barry

Hello Ann,

I had to learn the hardway also. Now, when I am teaching a drawing class, and they are moving ahead of what was planned, I can now quicly turn to the back-up plan, and they never know any difference.

The back up plan is a must!!! I have walked into rooms with a bad computer and had to wing it. I learned the hard way to have a backup.

Hi Steve:
Technology has certainly presented additional challenges to the contemporary classroom. But even in non-technical classroom settings things can go awry. As you said, back plans are a must!

Regards, Barry

Hi Ann,

I agree, I would never come in and appear to be unoprepared. herefore, I allways have a backup plan in case things happen.
There are also times when I needed to cut my topics and reevaluate the way I am lecturing and may have to change the speed so I will finish the topics the following week.

Hi Steve,

I think it al depends on the class being taught. There are many times, that I have had extra time, so rather than starting something, I would also give the class time to work in groups or get their assignments competed as well.

Hi Andy:
You pointed out an important aspect of preparation - that is over prepared, or too much information for the time allowed resulting in having to cut back on selected topics. There is a pacing and timing that instructors discover after they taught the class a few times. But sometimes unexpected number of questions or similar disruptions leave the teacher with an incomplete lesson. So, here's a variation of the back up plan: "What do I do when time is running out?". Good post.

Regards, Barry

Hi Andy:
Group work is a great way to keep students busy while getting ready for the next transition. If the groups are split, this can also be done in preparation to present the group work to the class as a whole.

Regards, Barry

The back up plan can also be unseen. If you know and deliver your course material thoroughly and seamlessly the students will just see another method of teaching from their seasoned instructor – they won’t even recognize they are being steered in a different direction.

Hi William:
Good point, especially from the perspective of a seasoned, prepared instructor. You're right. From the students perspective, the back-up lesson can appear to be just an innovative alternative to the regular lesson mechanics.

Regards, Barry

I think as instructors we always have some sort of back-up plan in mind every time we set foot in front of a class. I usually develope all my back-up plans on the way to work in the morning. All the "I wonder what will happen if i try this"'s usually turn out great. The student has no idea that the plan was just developed. This is what keeps the class alive - the instructor has to learn to react at moments notice.

Hi David:
Good instructors are usually good with spontaneity and extemporaneous prewsentation and delivery. That will keep the class lively and interesting.

Regards, Barry

i've teaching for 22 years and a back plan has been my model for all my classes

i've teaching for 22 years and a back plan has been my model for all my classes

Hi Germain:
Great! You know how helpful a back-up plan is when it has to be initiated.

Regards, Barry

I agree back-up plan is a must. Whenever I have a media glinch. I have my students role play or play a game pretaining to subject matter.

Hi Janet:
Good examples of simple, easy to implement back up plans. It's important that games or other activities relate to the subject matter to avoid having students feel their time is wasted.

Regards, Barry

I really believe this to be true. Instructors have to be able to "think on their feet" and know just what to do when there are situations that do not go as planned so that the class continues to run smoothly. I have had so many situations where this has been the case. Everything from being called out of the classroom unexpectedly to technology challenges.

Hi Deborah:
Back ups such as you describe is part of that "being organized and prepared". We have to ready for what we encounter - just like in the real world. That's why a teacher with a good education alone is not always instantaneously successful.

There has to be that experience component to complement the educational component. In vocational education, often teachers have the training and experience but may be light on the formal education. That's okay if the student learns what they're supposed to.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment