Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a faculty member, I cannot access students' prior grade results without a legitimate reason and, depending on the school, without permission from the student.

The importance of legally viewing a students records and understanding FERPA is so important.

It is important to understand what information can be released regarding student record to ensure that compliance and privacy is maintained.

Understanding the (who, what, when, where, & why) for student information release is very important.  It is also important to inform the students as to what information will be included as directory information etc.  We should all have a voice in what of our information is given our and to whom and why.

my understanding of FERPA has been refreshed in regards to the "officials" are that can access student records. DOE, persons assisting with financial aid, attorneys general, etc.

Although all aspects of privacy should follow the same rule of keeping confidential any of the student's information, there are times and reasons for educational staff to view student records. Knowing how to verify the circumstances and maintain the integrity of the staff and students is upheld by knowing how to do so. 

Interesting post about tracking student record releases

I learned the specifics of what and when school records can be released with or without student permission. I realize it is important to err on the side of caution and don't release without student permission.  I learned there should be policies in place to follow for each situation.

There are so many different components to FERPA that it makes it seem complicated, but in reality it is mostly common sense.  If you just apply the same methodology that you do with your own personal information.

The importance of understanding the policies that surround student information and disclosures of personal information.

Learnt about FERPA compliance including topics like personally identifiable information and directory information.

I learned that if multiple types of record are shared during an audit, it is in fact required to make documentations of every record released. It is also noted that institutions are only required to release information that is non-disclosed from Directory Information if the student is in current attendance. 

Ensure you know the importance of policy and procedures within the context of student documentation.

This section focused heavily on explaining what information can and cannot be released how we can identify basic modifiers that will allow release of information that is considered "directory" that being said, it is always best to make sure that the information you are providing is being provided to the correct party. Our job is to make sure any information outside of campus officials is provided with all due process, including the written consent. 

how a student can opt out of sharing personal information and how this could affect discussion posts, publication of grades, etc

There are important guidelines for parents when requesting their child's information (records). And age regulations. 

I learned more about the differences of directory information and education information and how they may be released. This can be applied by making sure to respect the confidentiality of students in the respective categories. 

Protecting the student's information is the fundamental goal. Legitimate reasons must be provided and rules

followed when disclosing such information.

The importance in staying up to date with current practice, policies and procedures. 

I have learned all the policies and procedures necessary to adequately protect the personal information outlined by FERPA. 

Sign In to comment