Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA is really necessary in all the aspects, it could put us in a lot of trouble that is why is good to know about it.

Adjunct faculty can access a student previous grades if they can verify that they need it for legitimate school work.

Any release of information completed for audit purposes must be noted in the record.

Student records for those over 18 cannot be released without permission to parents except when the student is determined to be a dependent by the IRS, there is an emergency, or the student is under 21 and has used drugs/alcohol. The latter is only if the state has not prohibited that exception.

Each item released from a student's record must be identified individually within a release; a generalized statement is not acceptable.

For each attempt to find student records there needs to be a form attached to it to track activity and reasoning behind it. This is for the protection and to avoid any ulterior motives outside of compliance.

I so appreciate the opportunity to learn more about this topic with regards to my role as an educator.

Clearly understanding FERPA laws to remain in compliance regarding sharing students information is extremely important. I will plan to review this content again-great information!

I have learned it is important to know what is allowed to be disclosed without consent.

I came to realization that each institution must have an employee manual on their hands assisting with matters related to a information release polices. Otherwise, it would be very difficult retain this information for continuous periods of time.

c c
c c

because many students entering college at an early age, i like it that parents have a way to keep up with their under age children and their education with the help of the IRS.

Understanding the policies and procedures of FERPA is paramount to remain compliant. 

Student confidentiality is essential. As faculty, we must understand FERPA rules and regulations.

I have learned how to take and analyze the requirements of staying FERPA compliant. In doing so, I will be able to safeguard my students' privacy and the institution's integrity.

From this module, I have learned the importance of either knowing, or knowing where to find information on the proper policies and procedures regarding the release of student information as defined by FERPA.

A great refresher. There are always different situations and scenarios that sometimes present themselves and challenges to FERPA compliance. It's always good to know the standards and how they apply to each unique situation.  

learned great deal with what can be and cannot be released

An institution is only required to honor requests for non-disclosure of Directory Information received while a student is in current attendance

Releasing info under exceptions very interesting.

I learned about the need to establish dependency to be able to provide parents with information about a student and that info also could be given to parents if it is an alcohol or drug related issue.

Sign In to comment