Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA guidelines should be easily accessible for faculty, staff, and students to ensure compliance as there are very specific instances in which information can and cannot be shared. It would be difficult for anyone to memorize such policies.

FERPA can be a disconcerting, even daunting at times; but, education like this helps to demystify the 'ifs', 'ands', 'whats' and 'wherefores'.   The rules and regulations and through presentation, explanations and examples present the material in a logical manner.  This gives me the direction and understanding of FERPA to properly protect my students.  

It is important to document the instances of record sharing and the reason for the information being requested. There must be a clear reason that those not directly involved with a student need to access the information. If there is any doubt about the need to know the student should be asked to sign a consent for to release the information. 

This module gave me a deeper understanding of FERPA and types of instances where the school is able to give information to government officials or students who are considered a dependent, etc. 

FERPA rules are put into place for the students' protection. I was not aware of posting grades for a full class being considered breaking FERPA rules but I had a feeling this shouldn't be practiced when it occurred during my younger schoolyears. 

It is important to understand what kind of information can be released and to who it can be released.

I learned 2 things in the this module. I did not know anything around the rules for “directory” information and how these typically are not a violation of FERPA. The other thing I learned was being a dependent does not shield the student from information being shared with their parents. This is a light bulb moment for me because I automatically thought if the student was 18 and a legal adult, consent would be required but that is not always the case. 

Whew!  That section was a rough one.  It had a whole lot of grey area.  If this happens, then this is ok, but this is never ok unless this this and this happen, but when this happens you can never do that, this person can see this but that person can't.....I would need a black and white cheat sheet next to me at all times to memorize the ins and outs of this section.

The difference between Directory and Non-Directory information... Directory would be non-sensitive things such as name, address, phone number, place of birth, etc. Non-Directory would be more sensitive and include Race, Gender or Social Security Number.

There are many specific regulations related to FERPA and what can and cannot be released, as well as when students may opt out of releasing information.

I learned which pieces of information may be considered sensitive information regarding students and also what sometimes is not sensitive. Included in sensitive information would be, race, gender, social security number, grades, gpa, country of citizenship and religion. 

a complete understanding of all FERPA policies and procedures is a must

FERPA requires institutions to provide an annual notification regarding the student’s rights.

This has helped me understand the importance of complying with FERPA

It was interesting to learn that directory information may be released unless the student opts out in writing. I was surprised what information may be released and not considered personal identifiers.

I learned about de student privacy and the importance of the dates.

We always err on the side of caution when dealing with student information, and I didn't realize that parents could access information if they could prove that the student was a dependent. We have always used the rule that as long as the student isn't a minor (under 18) then their permission would be needed to contact/ discuss their progress, etc with a parent.

FERPA compliance is important to learn

It's important for students to know what lists they will be excluded from if they opt-out for directory disclosure. 

This segment was very detailed in regards to what can/cannot be released. 

Sign In to comment