Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA policies need to be known to both students and administration. Best practices / policies that are set in place can be set by the university as long as the students are aware. Written documentation of student release is also crucial. 

Having an annual disclosure signed by the student's is important.  This reminds them of who can and cannot see their records.  

I learned that the institution during an audit must note for each record that is provided the agency name and date that the information was shared, and if it was electronic or physically provided.  

student info is protected

I learned if a student chooses to opt out of releasing Directory Information. They are not allowed to have their name published in the Commencement Program or Honor's List. Also you should be careful with online board discussions if the student has signed the same form. You are not allowed to reference their name in online discussion. I would think this would be hard to obtain participation points at times!

Just about any information released about the student should be recorded.

FERPA policies and procedures can be complicated and confusing, it would be helpful to have in-house meetings per campus to discuss regulations and policies.

I learned there are very specific situations when student information can & cannot be shared . I will refer to these guidelines if needed.

In this section, the importance of following proper protocal regarding the release of student confidential information. It is advisable to err on the side of caution and verify with the student before any information is disclosed to any party that is not a school official doing their duties or the student themselves. 

If student request education records, I would refer them to our Registrar, as she is the keeper of our records.  But will be able to provide them information regarding the time alloted for our Registrar to respond. And if in doubt about the policy, inform our student about the privacy disclosure and process.

It is important to understand the rules and regulations pertaining to student records. It is understable that some of the rules may be confusing, which means that anyone that has access to the records, should be aware of the FERPA rules and how to follow them.

Understanding  FERPA and why it is important.  FERPA is the equivilant to what HIPPA is in the medical field. 

Being part of an educational organization comes with lots of responsibility. As an instructor knowing the importance of requesting student information and not violating their rights is extremely important.  Understanding FERPA is part of being a good representative over all.

It is important to understand the rules and regulations pertaining to students.

I learned what kind of information regarding the student  can be released and when written consent from the student is required.  I also learned if unsure whether I can release the information it's best practice to get written consent from the student. 

I learned more about what can/cannot be released and when. 

In this section the most important point was about the information that may not be deemed Directory Information: race, gender, soc. sec.,grades GPA, county of citizenship, religion.

I learned that posting class results with student IDs hidden is not recommended.

I learned that it is important to communicate with the student in all aspects of FERPA affairs. They need to understand what their rights and regulations are within that law and be provided a necessary amount of time to disclose whether they would like that information to be released or not. It is also important to notify a student any time information is released. 

I’ve learned what information can and cannot be released in order to be compliant under FERPA.

Sign In to comment