Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Educational records can be released to parents if the student is deemed as dependent by the IRS, written consent, or due to alcohol or drug abuse. 

Releasing of student information as per guidelines is vital aspect which I learnt from this course.

Students have the choice to opt out of providing directory information. They are informed annually of what constitutes as directory information by the college. Certain entities have the right to request Non-directory and directory information. Parents can only obtain student information with the written consent of the student, unless specific requirements are met. 

I did not know that post education, a students records may not be protected yet there are such rigid guidelines while the student is in a program of study.

Again, this section discussed what student information is able to be shared and under what circumstances. Very insightful and informative. 

I have learned that badges and user numbers should not be used as access elements for accessing information, and that each student should be duly authorized to have access to their information, that there are only exceptions such as emergencies and minors.

It is very important to stay in compliance and in order to do so one must clearly understand what can and cannot be released. 

Any student indentifiable information is confidential and is handled very seriously.

I've learned that the guidelines for schools are very specific about the policies and procedures that they must or may do. The nuances of where and how information is provided is very important when considering student privacy. 

Authentication is essential in ensuring a student's privacy and upholding FERPA.

It is important to understand what can and cannot be released when dealing with student information

The importance of understand who can be able to ask for a release of our information and in what places can be shared without our concern.

It is imperative for staff to understand FERPA and follow the rules.

FERPA policies must be understood by everyone. If in doubt this should be escalated to the administration. Realistically educational records are confidential and should only be accessed when people have a legitimate reason. 

I have learned the importance of understanding and properly utilizing release forms for information. I intend to double check all of our forms to ensure that we are in compliance. 

Changes have been made to how much is released by a school regarding student information.

It is important to understand FERPA because it will help to protect the students and the institute by understanding what should be released and what not.

I learned that University ABC must be cognizant and conscientious regarding the safety and security of students' information. I, most likely will survey students to get a "consensus" on the most effective way to inform them of their rights, while informing them of some of the limitations, i.e., larger responsiblites of the uninversity to safeguard everyone, including the institution itself.

Ensuring that I am thorough with ALL student files and being sure to check for notices on student profiles is important when working with student information. Being sure to keep all information private if a student requests, protecting personal information, etc are all responsibilities that I as a professional am tasked with staying vigilant in. 

FERPA by understanding the policies and procedures.  This info is very important and helpful 

Sign In to comment