FERPA Compliance | Origin: CM141
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
FERPA and Privacy: A Practical Approach --> FERPA Compliance
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I learned that student's records are protected by FERPA and understanding how FERPA works. Individuals need student's written permission to access the student's records if they do not have direct involvement with the record
I've learned Annual disclosures should be provided
Institutions should define how they use FERPA
Non directory info: race/gender/ssn/grades/gps/religion/country of citizenship - made be used in commencement info
Institution has to define what is personally identifiable info
release guidelines for educational records
Best practices should be in place: notify student of any info released/seek written permission/provide student ample time to submit request/don't release info until request is received
In this module, I learned the importance of protecting student privacy and understanding FERPA regulations. I gained a better understanding of how to properly handle student information, maintain confidentiality, and ensure that sensitive data is only shared with authorized individuals. I intend to apply this knowledge by being more mindful of privacy practices in my daily work and helping create a secure environment for students and staff.
Not only can a student request his records from a school but also their parents in certain situations. By either obtaining the students written consent, having the parent establish student dependency, health or emergency and by exercising the disclosure option for students under twenty-one years of age who have had a violation regarding alcohol or a controlled substance, but this may vary per state.
FERPA is important because it gives students privacy when in regards to their educational records. This stops schools from sharing sensitive information like their grades, disciplinary actions and financial aid records. It also gives students a look at how they've been doing or what they could change.
It has come to my realization that it is important for one to make sure that the FERPA regulations are adhered to by making sure that all the student information is handled with utmost care. This includes the Directory Information and the information that has been flagged off from being disclosed. It is important for me to do the following.
Protecting students identification and information is very important. Even just using a roll sheet can be a violation. Learning all the ways you can violate FERPA is important
FERPA, is indeed important to make sure records are maintained properly, even when it comes to internal sharing information, still needs to have a signature from the student. I do not remember seeing that parents are given access if a student is under 21 and has an issue with alcohol, learned something new.
Surprised to learn that Directory information can be released since it does not contain sensitive information as SSNs
Keeping track of all the different points of data concerning student privacy and whether it is safe to divulge or not safe to divulge can be confusing. If you concerned it is a potential violation, ask the administrators of your academic institution whether it is safe to divulge. Confirm before making the wrong presumption.
From this module, I learned that FERPA compliance is essential for protecting the privacy and confidentiality of student education records. I gained a better understanding of student rights, legitimate educational interest, proper handling of educational records, and the importance of sharing student information only when permitted by law and institutional policy.
I intend to apply this knowledge by safeguarding student records, maintaining confidentiality in all communications, verifying appropriate access before sharing information, and following FERPA guidelines in both classroom and administrative settings. By remaining compliant with FERPA requirements, I can help protect student privacy, maintain trust, and support a professional and ethical educational environment.
Student information is private and typically isnt shared freely. Protecting student information is a important and a shared responsibility.
Be careful handling student information and only do so as the law allows.
Student information is private and typically isnt shared freely. Protecting student information is a important and a shared responsibility.
I've learned what goes in the release information form (name, date, organization, etc). The students have a right to privacy.
I found out there is a lot of regulations and rules for student privacy then i realized
information can be kept private by a student
One thing I learned is that FERPA compliance is everyone's responsibility, not just the school's administration.
It's important to remember that, institutions must disclose educational records without the written consent of students to the students who request to see information from their own records