Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Proper conduct needs to be followed and enforced in all communication types.

The instructor must model effective comunication and hold every student to the code of conduct in relation to communication.  When the code of conduct and the rules of nedicate are esteblished at the beginning of the course, the course should run smooth.  

Students do best when they understand what is expected of them.  It is also important that teachers are clear and communicate where a student stands in clas, and what is expected of them at all times.  leaves no room for misunderstanding. 

Make it clear on the very first day what the expectations are and then model those expectations.

It is important to develop a code of communication.  These things come naturally in the face-to-face environment but this module taught me that establishing this in an onlline teacing environment is just as important.

Students need to understand the communication standards which come from the teacher/school. The Communication Codes of Conduct must be state rules but also consequences for all to follow.  Management of the communication must be on going so students know that they must practice netiquette.  It is important for the teacher to use communication tools that will provide a safe environment for their students.

It is important to set guideliines for electronic communication, including netiquette rules and expected content. Students should be explicitly told the expected timing annd format of posts, what type of language should be used, and guidelines for the type of content required (e.g., responses must add to the body of knowledge). Postings may be graded by rubrics that include points for timing, formatting and generall contribution. Instructors must consider their time boundaries for communicating with students, including providing times shortly before assignments are due to handle questions, and make these hours and preferred communication types known to students.

Most important communication with my students and if I must write up student advisement must be done since week one. I've learned that some students when you let it slide they seem to think you are going to do it all the time. Start since week 1 so they know I am not playing around. 

Setting up the rules for communication will help all the students to better understand and hopefully not be intimidated so that all will participate.

We can communicate with our students in various ways.  Making sure to establish expectations & policies for use up front in the first few days of starting a new class  are key.  Feedback to students in a timely manner are important.  Establishing a two-way street with communication between students & the teacher are important.

Setting a pattern for communication within the course.  Also, setting expectations and rubric for communicating.

Providing a communication code of conduct will help to establish rules and guidelines for online communication between members of the class and the instructor

I like the part of asking the student which is the best way to communicate with them.  I like using announcements in Canvas but notice that sometimes students tell me they didn't see it.  Using school emails works sometime but again students have told me they don't check them until they get to school.  So learning which way is best is always a good note to self.

In online communications it is made clear early on that any form of harassment will not be tolerated. I have also given them a clear set of guidelines that they must not only post, but also respond to 2 others for their discussions to count as completed. And they must be meaningful and not just "Yep, I agree" type of responses.

I learned the importance of clearly explain the expected communication in the course since the beggining given the students the guidelines will be beneficial for the complince.

In online communication, instructors should:

• investigate and choose the most appropriate method of communication
  • Clearly announce how and when communication may occur
  • Provide clear and detailed instructions for communication
  • Set clear expectations for the instructor and students
  • Encourage all students to participate in the communication

Make sure to include your communication in your syllabus about how to communicate and the availability of your time to be consistent.

Guidelines, communication, grading are all important, and having clear expectations of all. 

Code of conduct is a must and we have to be stand up and not allow students to push the envelope.  Extremely hard to real class back in if the instructor is not consistent or wishy washy.  I as well liked the rubric.

Set clear expectaions and guidlines of proper communication.  Using a ruberic can help lay out expectaions and increase participation.

Sign In to comment