Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is imperative to establish a Communication Code of Conduct to communicate accurate and organized information. It is also important to set regulations and go over them with students to ensure they follow the rules and understand the consequences when certain rules are not followed. 

In this module I learned about the Netiquette, the pattern of communication that is needed including the consequences if not followed.    The importance of promoting civility and respect between instructor and student was also discussed. This is all essential to establish in an online environment.

I think it's very important to set boundaries in communications.  I'm an adjunct and work a full time job.  My students know not to call or text me - send me an email that I can check on a break. 

I like the idea of providing examples for discussion question responses and the expectation. Many students will respond with good job or I agree with your response which does not enhance the discussion.

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post:Reply to Casey Puckett's post: use the syllabus and verbal reinfrocement to establish "ground rules" or protocol for engagement with studnets and instructor so everyone is aware of proper language and engagement. 

Communication is key. Participate or zero.

Avoid last minute communications except for reminders of prior communications.  Avoid all caps and provide incentive for students commnucation with other students

We need to make sure that the communication skills, rules and regulations are clear, concise, appropriate and ongoing. That there are guidelines that everyone involved (instructors and students) should follow and implement like: being polite, mindful of others, respectful and professional.

Useful information on pattern of communication. Model type of communication for students for improved student participation. 

Communication is difficult when working in an online learning environment. Therefore, it is essential that the instructor stay on top of communication by setting clear standards for communication and following through with the detailed plan for communication efforts. 

I'm glad these modules have such a heavy emphasis on communications with students. I think there's a common misconception that since its online its really hands off, when that's definitely not the case. I'd argue that it require equal if not more effort to properly communicate concepts to students without things getting lost in translation. Watching tone is super important.

Setting standards and expectations for communication is necessary, as well as being transparent in the instructors availability and response time so students are aware when they will be assisted. 

In order for online communication to be constructive, guidelines must be set and the proper mechanics modelled so tha the students understand what is expected of them not only by rubric but also by example.

"I agree." I see this response EVERYDAY! Students find it difficult to move the conversation forward. So, I tell them to imagine they are having the conversation in real (and face) time, and how only saying "I agree" would not further a conversation. 

What I have learned in this module is that communication is key to the students success, if you do not communicate something in a manner where everyone can understand than you may be setting the students up for failure. A lot of time we need to ask the students if they understood the direction, because if not then maybe we (the instructors) will need to find a different way of explaining what needs to be addressed.

I loved the recommendations of different options for platforms where students can communicate with eachother and the instructor. Currently, I teach and have a hard time with email overload. This can also sometimes negatively affect the relationship with the student due to poor response times. When a student has a question and/or concern, this is urgent to them in the moment. However, they forget that the instructor may have other students and/or tasks they need to prioritize. By having these platforms built into the course allows one hub for communication specific to the topic, course, and/or concern/question.

Netiquette rules help develop a civil relationship in the online classroom.

Communication is key in the online learning environment. It is an effective way to help students feel engaged and promote a social and collaborative environement

Online Communication should follow clear and concise guidelines and consequences

Establishing a pattern of communication is essential for consistent communication.  Also Setting the standards for civility and online etiquette is a necessary.

Sign In to comment