Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting the tone early is key. It is very improtant to demonstrate to students how you would like to communicate. They should follow suit. It is helpful to present a netiqette guide so they are aware of these things. 

It is important to communicate and remind students of proper communication with peers and teachers in order to create and keep a respectful online community.

Setting clear expectations for communication is key to successful communication.

Establishing rules for communication are essential. 

It is so important to set up the rules and consequences before the class begins.  I like the idea of a rubric also, this helps students know exactly what is expected of them and will help ensure their success.  I wonder about how to monitor S2S communication where the teacher is "off limits".

My own children have had assignments with a due time of midnight on a certain day.  I have set some deadlines similarly, thinking I was giving students more time to complete and turn in assignments.  It never occured to me to be available to that time (although I do tell my kids they may email until 9pm the night before a test or major assignment).  The rubric for participation on the discussion boards is great.  I wish my Master's instructors had used something similar, for althought they articulated the same requirements, posts such as "Thanks, you made me really think about that" earned equal credit with ones that discussed confirming or negating research in response.

Creating a safe community for learning demands that civility in communication between I2S, S2I, and S2S is expected and directed.  Clear expectations, rules, and consequenses must be outlined and communicated in a Code of Communication Conduct to the students and modeled by the instructor.  

I really liked the idea of being explicit about what communication you want from students, as well as what that communication should look like. The ending rubric could be something useful to use with students to be clear about your expectations. 

Effective communication is essential for the online environment. Technology tools are specifically designed as communication tools.

Having standards of communication with students helps streamline contact.  Having civility rules and other standards helps students understand how to better communicate.

I will be sure to research proper standards for communicating with online learning and create a pattern for that communication.

It is impotant to establish a pattern of communication with student and be  consistent. .  When communicating online, frequency, consistency and pattern are words that should come to mind. 

Put your communication rules in your syllabus. Ask students to sign a Academic Honesty Policy .. also have a communication code of conduct in place and have strict guidelines for communication

My intention is to police the operation in the hopes and desires that the student(s) respond properly and in a timely fashion.

This section discusses the importance of clear communication in terms of setting rules for communication, monitoring all communications and the importance of doing so. Using the course syllabus and my institution's guidelines I need to develop my expectations and teach my students how to communicate respectfully and appropriately. As well as provide the consequences to not following course guidelines. Providing examples and models as well as setting the tone myself is key for a successful online experience for everyone. 

The idea of clearly communicating expectations for all aspects of communication is a major take away from this section. It is important that students not only understand what tools will be used to communicate, but also when communication will occur and what it will look like. Establishing a Communication Code of Conduct is a great idea for any classroom. I also appreciated the idea of using a rubric to show how communication on discussion boards will be scored.

Communication is key when it comes to talking with students. I've noticed that some students are not very good at communicating even when you have tried to reach out to them to see if they need help. With online teaching, it can be hard to get students to participate with discussions, but we are trying to encourage all students to participate.

It is important to make students aware of what is acceptable communication and what is not.  Also outlining when and how they can contact you as the instructor is very important.

Developing a communication code of conduct fir young learners is very important. Living in a digital world we all take shortcuts when communicating most of the time in formally. When we are communication formally we must remember to use appropriate language. 

GW Having guidelines of what types of communication is accepatable is very important and should be be on the first day of class. It is also important that all students understand that everyone needs to particiapte in discussions of the class. This is one of the most important wayhs to learn.  I have seen where when you first start a disscussion and you are not sure where it may go but then it turns out to be the greatest learning experience.

Sign In to comment