Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a Communication Code of Conduct can be helpful to address possible scenarios instructors/students might possible encounter in the classroom and the appropriate action to be taken if not followed. In addition, the I2S, S2I, and S2S descriptions provide guidelines as to the way instructors and students need to model proper and adequate communication. 

Providing a sample rubric for assignments to students so they know how they are graded might be a useful tool for the future. 

Recommendations for contact or Communication Codes of Conduct support the students to recognize the existing communication rules and the likely consequences for not following them. The value of setting rules, anticipations, and boundaries is countless. As an instructor, I know things that are obvious to me may be new to the students and I should go over online etiquette and expectations.

I thought the idea of having a FAQ area that student could post questions to and other students could answer is a great idea. It allows them to engage and share knowledge with each other while also lighten the load a little for the instructor.

encourage communication and set your guidelines make sure they understand guidelines and follow them because it is part of the curriculum and work with your students not everyone learns the same way be flexible but stay in the guidelines

First time hearing the "netiquette"! I learned its important to establish guidelines for for communication participation to enhance and move the conversation forward, and that developing and modeling the type of communication thats expected for respectful communication.

I learned that netiquette rules must be communicated to the student and followed by both the instructor and students.

Establishing a communication code of conduct can improve participation as it nurtures a positve learning environment.

I have learned that effective communication management develops between the instructor and the students, an environment of trust and transparency, in addition to developing a fluid, understandable and robust communication process.

CTC

I have taken online courses where the organization was not good. in these courses it was sometime very difficult to get clarification on assignments and there was no communication continuity.

I have learned you must set standards and expectations right away in communicating online. Tell your students only respectful comments will be tolerated, no disresecptful lanuage. In additon, help students work together by letting them communicate together to ask quesitons. 

Very important to establish how you will communicate to the students at the beginning of class. Establishing a pattern of communication will help students communicate effectively with the instructor and other students. 

As much as it seems like this is all common sense, for some individuals it is not. It is important to have set and clear guidelines on netiquette to ensure a comfortable environment for all.

It is my responsibility to have effective communication with students.

Providing a rubric for assessing students' participation in discussion boards can help prevent misunderstandings later.  For example:  "But I posted three times.  I didn't know I had to post complete sentences."

communication is essential with students.. respond in a timely manner and give feedback . We have to be clear on our expectations and how they will be graded for example in the DB

It is crucial to use consistent communication.

I learned about the importance of establishing and clear and concise standard of online communication and the consequences of not following the rules.

It is important to set rules and boundaries even in an online learning environment. This way students understand what is expected of them and what will not be tolerated.

In an Online Course, effective communication will likely take many different forms, and it is important to maintain professionalism throughout the multiple means used. Instructors should not only model appropriate communication, but they should also provide a detailed Rubric that defines how students will be assessed, and what the consequences will be for inappropriate communication. 

Sign In to comment