Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Key step is to initiate clear guidelines for communication and applying them consistently.

I leatrned how clear and concise communication is very important online. You need to set specific details such as when and how often to check email: how often and when I will check email; when I am in office and out of office. Guidelines for appropriate communication should be given so no question as to what is approporiate and what is not appropriate. Clear expectations must be set so students know exzctly what you want them to do, when you want it turned in and how you will be evaluating it. I will make sure I tell them all the above information so there is no question about communication that I haven't alreadyu answered. If there is an issue they can message me on the discussion board or email me.

The module was very well layed out and gave me many ideas that can be applied online or in a classroom setting. The key is what is the value of communication where all answers have to be black and white? 

Communication is the key to achieiving success.  There are vaarious tools that an used to help with creating a structured learning thorugh  communication tools.

Setting the standards for civility and online etiquette is a necessary step toward building community through communication.

Going with the assumption that everyone will be polite and give full effort is not a productive plan.  Having guidelines sets expectations and eliminates actions that could take place, even if unintended, that could sidetrack the class and cause personal hurt to a learner.

I have learned that is it impotant to be consistent in feedback and establish rules for communication in an online course.

Constructive critisism is acceptable - done correctly and with support.  The communication process should be laid out.  I like the rubic as a visual.

Guidelines are important for students new to e-learning.  It is easy to misinterpret tone in text, so students need to understand netiquette.

Establishing a Code of Communication for my online students is one of the first steps I should complete with them.  They should be provided clear examples of what is acceptable on a discussion post and what is not acceptable.

It is important for student s to understand that without facial expressions and body language it is easy to be misunderstood. It is therefore very important to becare of sarcasm and tone. Instructors should provide guidelines for polite communication.

First, it is so important to establish clear Communication Codes of Conduct to ensure that students understand the rules of the course, proper netiquette, and the consequences of not following the rules.  After that, it's key to manage the online communication process and model appropriate communication. The goal is for the communication within the course to become seamless and allow the students to easily navigate the course. I plan to incorporate a FAQ discussion board to help manage email overload and encourage student participation, and I will use a grading rubric for the discussion board.

I learned the instructor has the responsibility to establish and monitor online communications. The instructor must set the tone, give guidelines, enforce those guidelines, praise when they are followed and correct when they are broken. The instructor must ensure that the students understand and follow all of the guidelines for the class. 

Students must know the communication protocols and consequences and simple netiquette rules—a teacher cannot assume they have taken prior online courses. The protocol sets up a respectful environment conducive to learning.

I really liked this section because it outlines how to write up the expectations for the class.  The examples were well written and focused on the content of the class-not just an overview.

I had my belief of the importance of communication validated. I do not think you can over-communicate if you are consistent and well organized.

Following the various protocols for communication in an online environment will help me and my student to stablish good communication. To have a transparent framework to deal with communication will facilitate our jobs in the online environment giving the students and the teacher the respect that we all deserve.

Communication guidelines and frequent feedback from the online instructor fosters a sense of community and teacher connection.

Civility is emphasized because it can make or break your online course. Students can be discoruaged for active paticaiption which is why the online instructor must set guidelines for communicaiton.

Clear guidelines on communication is key to give structure in your classroom.

Sign In to comment