Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I mostly struggle with s2i incivility than s2s

Communication with students should be consistent and follow "code of conduct" rules.  It is important to understand that different students will respond to different methods of communication.

I think it's important to use a variety of styles of communicating with students. Students do not appreciate if all communications are negative or telking them they are missingwork. Positive reinforcement, praise and identifying ways in which students can use the growth mindset will keep student faculty relationships civil and strong.

Develop communication standards that are transparent to allow students to have good understanding.

One example question provided in this training was "Have you taken an online course before?"  I plan to add that as a required question for the Introduction Discussion post.  It got me thinking that I don't want to assume that students understand the online environment.  It certainly has its challenges if students have only participated in traditional in-person courses before.

From this module, I have learned the importance and effectiveness of utilizing various digital communication tools to enhance the learning experience. Understanding the appropriate contexts for different tools, such as texting for one-to-one communication and teleconferencing for large group interactions, has been particularly enlightening. Additionally, the emphasis on seeking formative feedback every three to five weeks highlights the importance of ongoing evaluation and improvement.

I intend to apply these insights by incorporating a mix of digital channels in my teaching approach to better address student needs and foster engagement. I will also implement regular formative feedback cycles to ensure that the course content and delivery are continually refined based on student input. By doing so, I aim to create a more dynamic, responsive, and supportive learning environment.

This portion offered guidelines for setting "netiquette" for classrooms. I found a number of policies for respectful communication when making responses for discussion boards that can be used going forward. 

Setting the rules since the very beginning is key as well as modelling. 

I have learned that there are 3 broad categories of communication: content-related communication, process-related communication, and feedback. I realized that I have not engaged as much in process-related communication in my online classes.

It is crucial to create and then consistently follow a Communication Code of Conduct

Las diferentes formas de comunicación, la forma de evaluar un foro, los parametros de comunicación entre el instructor y los participantes, me doy cuenta que hacia cosas de forma intiuitiva, ahora lo reafirmo con este curso 

If students struggle to maintain civility in the course, I like the idea suggested that they "[b]e required to provide a research paper on cheating or unethical behavior and/or letter of apology." Having students go so far as to think through and write in response to the cheating or unethical behavior may students prove more helpful than warnings and even failing one assignment.

Establish communication standards, guidelines, policies to make sure the class is structured and organized so all students understand what is expected of them. Also what is acceptable and not in the virtual classroom and course. 

It is important to have standards to follow and manage communication effectively to help struggling students. 

Our school has clearly outlined communication expectations in the catalog. I never thought of drafting a communication policy for my classroom or a conduct policy.  I have not encountered a need for it. If an issue ever arises, I remind students of the school policies.  I have had coworkers who had more specific rules for their classrooms.  I could see the value in it.

Sign In to comment