Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have been in ongoing communiction with my distance learning students.  Before, I started teaching from a distance I taught face to face classes.  Basically, the same guidelines shoud be followed they are just online.  For example, students need you to communicate and motivate them whether they see you in a structured classroom or online.  Whether you teach online or in a classrrom respect should be given from the facilitator and the student.  

You will need to set rules and boundries for online communication between all parties. If you don't it will cause chaos in the learning environment, because commen sense are a thing of the past.

It is hard to convey tone when communicating online.  I try to ask questions that assist the students to meet the objectives, such as can they find some research that supports the ideas they present, can they list examples, can they identify a way that this will be pertinent tot their practice.

The Course Code of Conduct needs to be clear and identify consequences to students that do not adhere to the policy from the onset of the course. A rubric can also assist students to understand instructor expectations for civility and effective communication.

I understand that when there are guidelines applied to the communication process, the students will have an easier time navigation the coarse and be able to achieve a very strong communication process.

Learned importance of establishing a communication pattern.

Well written guidlines and policies that have been constantly reviewed, rewritten as needed and effectively communicated to staff and students on a constant basis are key to faciltating a healthy and consistent pattern of communications within the organization.

The communication between a teacher and a student must be managed at all times.Knowing the meaning of all communicating skills better the interaction and the sucess of a online course for the teacher as well as the student. ex.I2S- Instructor to student.

I enjoyed how each generation and its strengths and weaknesses were broken down. It is obvious in most pracices that these examples give age vererations in daily living as well as course obsevations.

Communication in an online course is very important. It is also for students and instructor to have set guidelines and expectations around communication. One way to ensure successful communication is to create a Code of Communication that describes the expectations and consequeces for students in regard to online communication. The Code of Communication will allow students to know what is expected of them and the instructor. 

Teachers must set clear expectations of how to communicate within an online community. 

Communication is key to keep connected with students and on top of everything. Students need directions and expectations for their communication. 

It is important to establish communication rules, guidelines, times, places, how and when. There are several aspects to communication effectively in an online course.

I like the idea of making students accountable for communicating. The rubric seemed like a helpful way to do that. Also, setting up a code of conduct could avoid a lot of situations with student behavior. Especially if those situations started with misunderstandings that could have been explained ahead of time.

Start at the beginning of the course to establish proper communication protocols.  Using the syllabus is an excellent place for this to establish rules, consequences, office hours and other support.  I plan on revising my syllabus to cover more of these topics.

The use of a rubric when evaluating S2S communication is an excellent idea.

I learned that establishing communication early in a course allows for a smooth flow of the course and minimizes email overload for the instructor.

Communication between the instructor and students are the key to a successful course. There should be clearly outlined protocols on how to contact the instructor and what method of communication is preferred. It is important that students know what the instructor’s virtual office hours are to avoid frustration.

These are some great guidelines and im taking notes.

Ask for feedback from students every 3-5 weeks.

Sign In to comment