Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a code of conduct for communication is necessary so students are aware of the expectations. 

Keeping constant with the communication and monitoring for poor or disrespectful communications.   

I also like the grading rubic and I intebd to use it. I also like the Computer Code Of Ethics assignment. I know that their a lot of tech savy students out tuere, so it is imparative the on line instructore get familiar with the different forms of communication pathways that student are using to communicate via electronic devices.

You have to set guidelines for communication in the beginnning for students to know and understand and be consistent in your communication and prompt as much as possible

In today's times of texting and social media, making sure that you set the standards for communication is very important.  I will definitely be including a Communication Code of Conduct to my syllabus.

Creating a clear and concise code of conduct when dealing with online classes is important. It is also important to set up communication guidelines for both the students and teacher in the course. 

Rubrics to show how participation is graded are also helpful, as learned in another course. 

I like and will implent the honesty code conduct and the rubric for discussion board. that will be tremendously helpful

I've learned during the past couple of months how important netiquette is.  I have been corresponding with some of my parents through text messages and sometimes their tone is not very positive.  I'm able to remain professional but that is something that definitely needs to be taught.

I have learned to establish guidelines for students concerning communication.  It is also important to establish consequences for those students who do not follow the guidelines.  

In the Online Language: Communicating with Students course, module two I learned that identifying communication standards is extremely important to do. Using the class syllabus to inform students of expectations and consequences would be a relatively easy manner to inform students of expectations. Being specific about what type of communication is acceptable and unacceptable is key. Consequences for unacceptable communication is also important for students to be informed about. Communication must be managed at varying levels, i.e., between the instructor and students, between students and instructor, and between students. Using a rubric when establishing a pattern of communication in a course is beneficial for the instructor as well as the students.

The examples of the guidelines and patterns of communication were helpful to see in order to identify areas to consider. A second idea that stood out repeatedly during this module is modeling the behavior. As I work with instructors to create their plan for the fall of next year, those will be pieces to include and questions to promote thinking in terms of netiquette, communication expectations, and a pattern of communication. In addition to modeling, creating opportunities for students to practice netiquette, communication expectations, and the pattern of communication will be important. The feedback students receive as they practice will help create the culture of learning and communication desired providing it is timely, specific, and helps students move closer to the communication goals.

The component I hadn't really considered was peacemaking,although I do it on a daily basis to keep lessons going smoothly and avoid choas. All of the components are essential to student success,from introduction linking the prior knowledge to create new connections, to increasing and demonstrating mastery communication is vital.

Clear expectations of communication are important

The communication process is very important to online learning. Most of the information can be outlined in the class syllabus. This will provide the students or stakeholder information regarding communication rules and regulations. 

I really liked the idea of having a quiz for a code of conduct. That way students will understand the importance of appropriate communication in a classroom setting and will be expected to conduct themselves in your class. This also provides opportunity to establish norms and consequences. 

It will be important for me to give detailed expectations for communication etiquette.  I like the idea of using a rubric to communicate expectations for online discussions.

I like the rubric for communication.  I learned that it is important to be clear about the guidelines for communication.  I have heard people say that their assignment was due on midnight.  It has never occurred to me that the teacher should think about how they need to be available to the students the day or two before an assignment is due.  I learned that teachers have to think a lot about the communication process so that students will be ok to communicate.  Communication between all parties is essential to learning.

I have learned that I can continue taking participation points in my online classroom, but using a different rubric as outlined in the text.

A pattern of communication is basically defined as consistent forms of communication used frequently. This pattern may relate to I2S, S2I, and/or S2S communication. When communicating online, frequency, consistency and pattern are words that should come to mind.

One thing that I never thought about as an online instructor is the time of the due date- from my personal experiences of being an online student, assignments were typically due at midnight on Sunday- according to what I just learned, best practice is to be available during the time that the assignment is due incase there are any questions- I need to ensure that I am adjusting the time of due dates so I can support students if needed. 

Sign In to comment