Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really like the idea of posting a summary of a discussion at the end.

The one thing I see here that may not apply to all situations is that at my university, the professors don't design the courses.  Yes - we review, make suggested changes, etc. but the course design is handed to us.

In this module the method of organizing an online class was explained with different factors to consider.  Some of those factors are to understand the F2F method is not the same as developing an online course, you have to facilitate the students transition into this format of learning.  The instructor needs to organize the course from the beginning including getting feedback from the students to keep them engaged all the way to the end.  Consistency is the key to success for the instructor and the student. 

Online courses require different strategies than face-to-face courses. Engaging tools and material are key.

Organization matters.  Most of the emails you get is where can I find.... when you ask them to post something.  Make it intuitive.

The course content should be carefully examined by the instructor to ensure accessibility to all platforms or technology, the clarity of the content and the capability of the student being able to move throughout the course effectively. 

It is critical to make the change from F2F teaching to online very smooth and to make it as close to your own teaching methods as possible. You know your own students and how they learn and they also learn from you, so changing your teaching to being very robotic or even using powerpoints will not help especially if you are not that kind of teacher. I know I am a very hands on learner as well as a very hands on instructor, I know most of my students are the same, so if all of the material switches to just reading everything, the students may not follow along as easily or learn the same. 

Consistency is key in regard to course content layout!

Feedback, guidance and structure are very important.

It is important for the instructor to engage the student. Ensure there are different types of interactive assignments such as blogs, discussion posts, and other engaging assignments. The instructor needs to provide prompt feedback and have good communication. 

There are many important factors but the organization of the course allows the students to be comfortable and successful. Facilitator must be flexible. 

How you organize your online course has a significant impact on student success.

What is best for the student is what shall be done. Ensure that they are actually learning the content you are teaching.

Since I teach lab courses, when the pandemic hit its zenith it was particularly difficult shifting to an online format. Having class synchronously via webcams helped maintain a level of normalcy, and ended up doing a lot of what the article reccomended and incorporating relevant details, concepts and work to keep students morale and learning momentum going.

Providing a clear path through objectives, modules, and discussions will help students successfully pass the course. Make your content engaging for your students to keep them interested in the learning materials. 

Instructors should use diverse methods to support learner engagement.

I am all about student engagement, the number of years that I have been teaching helped me to learn that engagement gets better evaluation scores and happier student learners.  I certainly agree with the module lessons that emphasize "Good facilitation techniques suggest that multiple strategies should be used to engage students."

I do lots of preofessional development and peer mentoring to find techniques that will work and help my courses.

Utilize different techniques to keep the students engaged, while keeping the course organized. 

I will be consistent with the layout of my course material so it is easier for students to locate the course materials throughout the class.

If transferring from F2F to online or the reverse, it may be easier to just create a whole new coursse.   
Let your personality shine through, but don't give too much personal information away.

Using a variety of methods to retain engagment of students is especially important in an online environment. I will plan technological strategies to augment my teaching style and ensure maximum engagement from the student experience

Sign In to comment