Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many challenges exist as online courses becomes further integrated into education.  With online courses communication may be more difficult however not impossible.  It is important to set boundaries and when necessary enforce regulations.  As noted in the module it is important to keep and store records for future reference.  

WOW.. I didn't realize how many different styles of students I will be contending with on a daily! Again, great tips to handle most situations. I wrote those down in a notebook to keep handy..just in case. I agree with Juanita, there will be many daily challenges woth e-learning, but again the school has great tips to de-escalate a situation or type of student or on the other hand , bring the "shy" students out of their shell and participte, gain conffidence in themselves.

I find it interesting that you can still have people that can behave badly in an online environment.  Knowing how to deal with those personality types and conflict in an online environment will be a great skill to have.  I also understand that some people will feel free to be critical online whreas they not be so verbal in person.

I learned that even though there will be students who challenge the system, there are ways to get them back and eager to learn. 

This module highlighted the need to use the institution code of conduct and appropriately document for behavioral issues. Another item covered was how to minimize course attrition. Documentation and individualized communication can help the process. I intend to keep transcripts of communication and remain consistent with communication with at risk students as well as their other professors or advisors. 

I learned the importance of having  an effective simple record keeping system. You need to have an organized way to locate and retrieve your information for future use. It's important to have a standard way for students to communicate with you online.

I have learned that there are different behaviors that may appear and can be challenging to online learning but also that there are ways to help the learners and how we can best deal with these behaviors. How we can counsel online, better communicate with learners and minimize student attrition.

Attrition is one of my primary concerns in both my traditional and online classes. The tips about a survey to reduce the possibility of technical issues and also to help students if possible with time management and setting priorities  was very useful. I strive to apply that in my courses.

Learner profiles:

. Noisy

. Quiet

. Disrupters

. Intimidators

. Procrastinators 

Reply to DARVIA TREADWELL's post:Patience, what do we do without it?

Low engagement is a challenge to many issues in online learning. It is important to create a learning experience that will be engaging for the students. Take time to understand their interests, strengths and where challenges lie. Utilizing this information will foster and online classroom management plan that is tailored to our students and provide multiple opportunities for interactive learning.

This provides tools to utilize with learners who can be distruptive and with other behavioral concerns during a class.

Managing an online learning environment means that the teacher needs to understand the different types of students and their different types of learning personalities. Managing personalities and ensuring that learning is taking place requires discipline and consistency with students. 

There are so many ways in which to keep students engaged adn it only takes a few moments to learn aout and thereby individualizing to a certain degree, lessons plans.

We have to be aware that not all students want to interact with people. They should be given choices for projects and activities, so they can decide if they want to work alone or in a group.

Students might challenge you or the system and you have to handle that accordingly.

I start new classes with a review of the syllabus (grading, due dates, calendar), tips on time management and study habits. One item I will add is how to contact IT. Most students go directly to IT when there is a "problem" with the programs but many times IT can actually fix the problem online, which saves the online student a trip to the campus. 

I learned how to professionally deal with disruptive students. 

Students keep going through 'life' during their academic careers...and so do we. I find that affirmation towards students and their 'life' situations helps keep students invested in their studies. How you respond will either motivate your student to continue despite their situation or will discourage them from continuing. Simple responses like 'I'm sorry to hear that', 'Oh no...hope you feel better, soon' and the like...will foster care and empathy and most likely motivation to continue during their hardships. 

I am starting to appreciate the importance of actively monitoring on-line discussion groups to ensure everyone feels comfortable and are participating. Two points for me include being alert to learners who may try to dominate a forum in some way that keeps others out, and to keep an eye out for students who are not participating for some reason. Then proactively reach out to each of those learners individually to help get them to participate more constructively.

Sign In to comment