Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Clearly procrastrination is much easier in an online environment than on campus. Developing an appropriate accountability system, through strictly enforced deadlines and penalties for late work, must be incorporated in any teaching strategy.

It's important to select a record management system that will allow me to be effective and retrieve information quickly. I should follow the school's online policies to resolve conflict which may occur. Eventhough procedures may be in the syllabus, I should send an email to learners to remind them. Also, I should monitor students' participation to prevent alienation.

I found it interesting that some students may challenge you and may not be fully absorbed in learning virtually.  We as instructors should try to alleviate the problems by providing these students some personal attention that may be offered by email or chats to resolve a negative issue.

I leanred the importance of identifying the type of learners in my my classroom and how they can affect other students. I plan to take this into consideration and create a proactive plan on how to address those learner personalities in an effctive way. 

Maintaining timely communication and fostering relationships will always serve as a tool of regulating communication and participation through various types of learners and personality profiles.

I feel behavior management will be easier than in a traditional setting.  Students that tend to seek attention through physical distraction will not be able to take away from the learning environment.  Students will not be able to throw projectiles across the room.  Ridicule of dress, looks, or voice will be practically eliminated.  Some students protected by a computer may be able to participate more.

Having a disruptive student in the class can be really challenging. It wastes valuable instructional time and throws off the classroom dynamic. I teach middle school and when a student gets out of hand, its easy to call an administrator for help. During live meeating, as as teacher I can mute students' microphone so that there won't be any sounds other than my own mic. And addressing the problem at a later time can hopefully help. Also, keeping records of chats and emails, or any other form of student teacher communication ois another thing I can appply to distance learning. 

Record keeping and having a system to manage e-mail is important to the success of e-learning.

This module reinforces the fact that students will be students, especially the first few weeks in a new class.  Their personalities will come alive.  Making sure to set aside class expectations & guidelines up front in the first couple of days will help foster positive communication, keep behavior disruptions to a minimum, resolve conflict management quickly and keeping the students engaged to manage the attrition will all help the on-line class be manageable & successful .

Most e-learners, before the current epidemic, were independent learners that did really well in the online learning environment, but now many learners have been forced into the e-learning environment which presents significant challenges. I've found that lately the predominant problem is with the procrastinators. I try to encourage to work ahead if possible.

Dealing with undesireable behavior and the different personality types of students in an online atmosphere.  Having the ability to resolved conflict and address privately the needs of students at various levels of the course.

I have learned about the different behavioral traits in the e-learning environment.  Although, I may have seen them in the traditional classroom setting, they must be addressed differently in the e-learning environment.  For example, if the "noisy" student is "acting out" in the e-learning environment. I can provide some personal attention and ask the student to provde some specific input related to the discussion post.  If the student does not do this, I will need to guide him back into the topic of conversation.

Thankfully I have not had students who are overpowering dominators or intimidators. I also try very hard to make expectations and policies clear from the beginning. I have certainly had lots of experience with "noisy" students and those who are more avoidant. I apreciate how this module spells out clear suggestions for dealing with all of the identified challenges. One big challenge in the environment I am teaching in is that students have had unclear expectations as nobody realized the Covid online situation would go on for so long. These students never planned to do e-learning and are really struggling with balancing work, family, and the inherent psychosocial difficulties we are all facing under the Covid crisis. The behavioral strategies in this module are helpful for existing students and those we are welcoming next month who fully understand they will begin online. I think it is different when students choose online learning versus being thrust into it unexpectedly, and setting the tone for expectations clearly from day one will be very helpful.

There is a difference in delivery, but not much difference when dealing with unruly students, distractions, and communication with students.  It is just done in a different format with online learning.  Like with most situations, keep good records of all communication, counseling, and administrative functions.

I learned about the value of good communication and dealing with disruptions to good online learning immediately. There are many types of student learners and it is important for the Instructor to be able to identify and deal effectively and fairly with each student as well as maintain order and good communication in your online classroom.

Doug,

Thank you for being direct with your comment in handling with distruptive students.  Document all situations date and time who is involved, what was sayed across the platform and keep chat transcripts when necessary, and delivery communication to counselors, and administrators.

Zoom meeting really helps to get that facetime when we are unable to meet on campus. I find it motivates the students more. 

Make sure the email is adressing something that is personal to one particular student and not a frequently asked question that should be opened to the public (or class).

I learned that students will be challenging even in an online environment. I also learned to produce meaningful assignments to ensure the workload is not excessive. 

The importance of keeping sound, organized documentation of communications with students (particularly communication related to less than preferred behaviors) is important to note.  Must explore methods to doing this in our CMS.

Sign In to comment