Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In any setting there's one thing for sure students will be students, s they will do well with others they will not. My goal is to find a balanced method of success regardless of their behaviors or choices for favorable outcomes.

Students hear what they want to hear. ALso what they want think on what you say. Email is always best course 

Student behavior should always be considered when monitoring and advising.

I did not really think we could have the same type of behavior from a real class setting onto an online class setting. I learned after reading how to look for this type of online behavior I had better have the code of conduct policy easily available. 

I have learned how to avoid the loss of student interaction and or disciplinary issues within and elearning environment

I learned that one should keep their record keeping simple and organized.  It can be done as assignment names or indiviual folders.  Give guidelines on how you want emails labeled.  Let students know that someone else may respond.  Before posting a question, check FAQ first.  Procrastination may present itself for some students who know that they don't have to show for class at a given time, but still have course work to do.  E-mailing is the best option of communicating with students but a private chat could also do.  Keep record of chat if this is form is used.

Maintain contact with students. Know your institutions policy on online learning and follow those guide lines. maintain control of discussion boards and student interactions.

Communicate is critical when dealing with students online. They must be informed on how important it is to adhere to the rules and regulations of online classes. They should participate in different events and conduct themselves in an orderly manner. 

The information in these modules is so valuable. I am going to share them with my team so we can all recognize these tactics and hopefully mitigate them with the strategies provided

I realize that behaviors demonstrated in the online environment are similar to the ones encountered in a traditional classroom. It will be important to know and understand the institutional policies as they apply to E-learners.

I was reminded about the importance of counseling students, resolving student conflicts, and minimizing attrition. The effective strategies provided will be utilized.

I learned the importance of recording keeping and the different types of records that need to be kept.

Giving teachers the guidelines in how to deal with different kinds of students.  It is very helpful in order to keep a successful e-learning environment. 

I have learned that managing communication in the online environment is no different than in a traditional classroom as far as the professionalism involved. The mode of communication may be different, but the quality of the communication should remain high.

Keeping records of the course are always nessacary online or not. Communicatiion is essentail in life. Counseling is wonderful. Dealing with distracting and undesirable behavior must be done according to school policy. Confilcts arise and must be resolved. Do what you can to minimize student attrition.

Although e-learning is a paper-less way of providing and participating in teaching and learning, a system for documentation of student participation, contact, conduct and the like are absolutely vital to the success of an online course.  One thing I resonated with from the discussion of student attrition was the necessity of the instructor to reach out to students who are not participating/completing assignments.  It has been my experience with my own children as they have had e-learning thrust upon them for whatever reason, that many if not most instructors are NOT reaching out unfortunately.

In order to reduce attrition, I must monitor participation levels, offer time managemen tips, and send an email reminding students about the syllabus and course overview.  It is important to communicate with students, especially in the e-learning environment.  In the e-learning environment, I have learned about the different types of behaviors that learners may bring to the environment:  noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidators, and procrastinators.

I learned online behavior management through e-mails, referring back to policies and grading rubrics, having an online code of conduct, and soliciting participation from a quiet learner by identifying a topic they can speak to.  

Find a simple system that works for you- its better to have too much than too little- with experience you will figure out what works best for you and meets school requirements. It's important to monitor grade progression and student involvement as often as possible- have multiple ways of communicating with students...

Learning styles affect e-learning environments as well as traditional classrooms. Tips for handling "problematic" student behavior are excellent

Sign In to comment