Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The instructor needs to do all he or she can for the e-learners, to help with alienation, overburdened workload, successful assignment competition, and provide help with technical issues.

I think the power of organization can be overlooked.  Finding what you need quickly is a gift and the time that is spent upfront to be able to do that is well spent.

Different behaviors may become an issue for the online course. However the different policies will assist in controlling the student 

The different types of students and how to effectively deal with them in an online format

In this module I learned the importance of Keeping course records. In the past I have documented on Aeries, Canvas (LMS), made folders on my school Google Drive & a spreadsheet. I have yet to master 1 location that would benfit me, the student, parent, other teachers, & admin. Communicating with students is so important. Counseling students to a degree is important, but only when it relates to the class.  Dealing with undesirable behavior...this is something I need to work on. I get so distracted by these people that I ignore the students that really want to succeed in the class. What I mean is, I want to save that kid from failing & often include them in the discussion & end up ignoring the kids that want to engage.  Resolving student conflicts is my speciatly. I am not sure how successful I will be at this in an online enviornment. This will be an adjustment. Minimizing student attrition will be something I need to master, but I still need to figure out the "keeping records". That takes so much time away from everything else I need to do. 

Even in online learning, you will face the same types of behavior issues you would in class, they just present themselves in different ways.  

This module opened my eyes to the fact that some of the challenges I face in motivating students to complete work and participate fully will continue to be present in an online forum.  Others will be exacerbated-- a large percentage of my student body procrastinates now.  when I am not in front of them to gently push them on, these kids could very very quickly fall behind.  I also am looking at the information while taking the needs of my ELL population into account.

I learned that some students may display behavior that requires help beyond me.  In this case, I will need to refer back to this information.

As the Instructor, you must monitor the participation of all of your students and may have to send personal emails to persuade reluctant students to add to the discussion and, on the other hand, persuade domineering students to reduce their additions to the discussions ,

Constant interaction and quick communication will keep students involved.  If they know the teacher is paying attention to deadlines then they will as well.

To ensure you meet the needs of diversity learning with your e-learners. Encourageing the students to stay on task via commuication. Oraganize files/folders on your students. 

Whether learning in a traditional classroom setting or e-learning, student personalities will come through.  By identifying those that may hinder the teaching process will help to keep the learning process moving forward for all.  Also, knowing to refer to the institutional code will help to keep those more challenging students on tract.

The most important lesson in this module to me was how to help e-learners manage their time and responsibilities outside the course.  As e-teachers we need to be able to effectivley help the students with tips on how to manage their time and provide an outlet if they are having any types of these issues.

Online class management is much different than face-to-face management though some of the same techniques may apply.  Several good suggestions on how to manage people with problems 

Applying while being assertive is a great approach for instructors. Using a firm yet supportive method of interaction redirects the learner to focus on completing objectives. 

My biggest takeaway in this module was the various types of online learners and which strategies to use when I encounter them. I learned about better ways of keeping track of records (student grades, assignments, and communications). 

Learning titles for the various types of online learners was interesting (and gave a bit of insight on which category I would fit into). One of the constant issues with online learning is the "problems" - real or not - students face, and how we can professionally deal with them.

Keeping students from dropping out of course is going to be a priority .

Email is the best way to connect with students for one on one counceling. I think being available as the instructor is crucial to the success of the student. Behaviors will also be different creating different challenges to overcome. 

I have definitely learned that documenting everything is best. There will be someone that will challenge or interrupt at some point and time. Not only is a challenge possible, but someone may feel overwhelmed or not be able to finish assignments in a timely manner. E-mail is the best communication source to communicate.

I will incorporate more e-mails as I communicate especially to help reduce and eliminate conflict.

Sign In to comment