Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You need to check all behavior just as you would in a traditional classroom. Make the online environment inviting to where you are alleviating any blockages or concerns

I have found that procrastination is the #1 area that students have struggled with in my online courses - and one way of the ways I have had to mitigate this issue with students is to send out two announcements per week reminding students of upcoming assignments and also personal emails to students who are more falling further behind in the course.  

There are different types of e-learners' behaviors that we must identify.  There will be many challenges with behavior management, but we must set guidelines and consequences. We must encourage all e-learners to participate and be productive. 

This section has reminded me that as continue on as an online instructor I need to become familiar with the types of various students learners and adapt my role as their history instructor to meet their respective needs and achieve my learning outcomes as to deliver an effective and engaging online course.

When students are thrust into an eLearning environment, discipline is what is needed by 90% of the students - because they feel it is the teachers role to provide knowledge. When they discover that the teacher is a facilitator, and they must do most of the work - they tend to reject this type of learning and procrasinate. Many assignments go undone and eLearners grades plummet without discipline. The teacher must skillfully manage eLearning by daily monitoring, emailing, leading in discussions, and giving constant feedback and learning incentives and rewards.

what I have learened from module 4 is that  it is very imperative that I be at the top of my game to be able to help students acheive their maxium potential. 

From time to time I have students withdraw from my online classes due to competing responsibilities. I find the following ideas to be helpful in minimizing this challenge.

• Remind students of the level of commitment necessary to complete my course. This information may be specified in the course syllabus and course overview, or I may consider sending a reminder in an e-mail.
  • Provide students with guidelines for setting priorities.
  • If the policies and procedures of my institution permit it, I may grant extensions for submitting course work.

Module 4. In this module, I learned effective strategies for:

• Keeping course records.
  • Communicating with students.
  • Counseling students.
  • Dealing with undesirable behavior.
  • Resolving student conflicts.
  • Minimizing student attrition.

I found the different types of learners to be the most interesting.  This seems especially important to keep in mind in the remote learning environment.  I will use what I learned to recognize the different types of learners and how to help them be successful.

I now understand the importance of keeping documentation of all communication I have with my students.  I also understand how easy it will be to set up a method of filing the different documents I receive from students.

I was reminded of how there are different learner characteristics & behaviors which can positively (or otherwise) impact the online learning experience for the group. I learned some way in which I can better identify this and manage the online learning experience in an effort to keep students appropriately focused, engaged, and learning the course content. 

I learned that communication with students and resolving student conflicts very important and keeping records 

By doing daily status checks with my students to find out what they needs are with the material, the course, and the content of the class. 

There are different kind of learners. Not all people want to learn online or it may be more difficult for them to learn on line. Also a huge component is making sure that the communication is open to all students and to make sure that none feel alienated. 

There are many different challenges that you may face as an online instructor, but there are also many ways to address them. It is important that the students are aware of the Code of Conduct and that they feel like you are there to help them succeed. 

We can not forget the importance of students who struggle with technology. This is a silent type of attrition. It will frustrate the student to the point of not wanting to be involved in the learning. Educators should check-in with these students and send tips so that they don't feel so overwhelmed.

Reply to Chris Huber's post:I agree. Encouraging students is the key to making them feel like a valuable part of the learning environment.

I learned some strategies for dealing with disruptive students and ways to support students who may be intimidated by the content or format of the courses I will teach.  

This module was really helpful to understand the dinamic of an e-learning environment, between the inscructor and students. Also, to identify the types of behavior that the instructor will encounter. 

This was an inteesting module in helping how to organize information from each student as well as how to work with different types of student learners.

Sign In to comment