Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is interesting to learn the "prefered" learning manner, asynchronous vs synchronous. I can see why asynchronous would be the preferred learning method as it allows for the engagement of ALL learners who are likely taking the only course to accomodate their schedules. I enjoyed learning how to keep the asynchronous learning on task, engaging and how to properly give responses to discussions in an engaging manner. 

Information was valuable; gives you directions on handling small and large group discussions

Asynchronous discussions may be the fix for the issue I've had of a handful of students regularly participating whilst the rest sit mute.  Worth a try.

did not realize there were two types communication when it comes to students and their learning

For as difficult as it can be, one to one relationships is very important for the student to feel

When providing feedback to students... re-read... before hitting send.  Make sure it is constructive and encourages continued learning. 

Online instruction can be challenging to students who are used to face to face interraction in a tradional setting. The online instructor should encourage asychronous dscussions to engage the learners in active participation for learning to take place; students learn from fellow students and from  the instructors comments and suggerstions for more learning. 

Thought provoking

One way to get people to engage more with eachother is by creating small group projects so that it feels less intimidating. 

The toughest thing about asynchronous meetings is not being able to see their reactions to information they are studying. Do they look lost, confused, interested, excited? Their written reaction is almost the only way for them to express any of this. Adding the opportunity for them to upload a video or audio blog would be helpful.

Be sure to utilize asynchronous discussions. Keep students engaged by providing feedback and summaries of their responses. At the same time, don't make the majority of the comments come from you but rather allow students to continue the conversations.

Student participation is a way of knowin if your students are learning the material. I pay close attention to those that don't participate. 

I have learned in this module the difference between synchronous and asynchrounous discussions. The methods on how to apply feedback is very important in the learning process.I believe that is also both a science and art if practiced smoothly

This was a nice review and learning of new material regarding drawing participants in with synchronous and non-synchronous learning.  However, what I found most interessting was the breakdown of learning style categories!  I found myself thinking about students I've had who fit very "neatly" into those categories!

Feedback not only involves constructive criticism for the student but also asking for feedback from students about the course and how it can be improved. Tone is important when providing feedback. 

How to encourage participation and discussion in an online class. 

Good tactics to use in any and all online classes are presented.

Reply to Pamela Gabbay' I agree you need to keep the discussion active. I find it is best to ask each student to explain part of their comment.  I also9 think feedback is very important to the students. I have learned over the years it the student missed part of their assignment, I make the comment like " I wish you had done this or that, however you did a nice job on this or that".

Positive interactions with the students in the course should always be a priority. By providing positive interaction, feedback, and constructive criticism, the student knows the instructor is truly engaged in the student's learning.

It is important to compensate for the absence of nonverbals in online discussions. 

Sign In to comment