Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous discussions are key to get high participation rates. Providing feedback to students increases engaging and class participation as well. 

The overview and analysis of Asynchronous Synchronous discussions was a vital component in this module.  It is a vital component in particular for online courses to foster student participation and understand when clarification is needed. 

I learned how asynchronous and synchronous learning differ and how feedback is essential for student learning.

I didn't know there were different teaching styles, now I'm very clear on them and how important each styles is to the student learning. Also, wording is a big thing to keep the students confidence ( which is extremely important in my view) positive feedback and constructive ( not negative) critiscm is essential to keep the student engaged. I also think that getting ALL the students engaged is going to be a big task, but the tips-to keep students engaged & postitive- given in this section were awesome!

In some ways, I can see asynchronous training as being an advantage over a traditional classroom.  Quiet students in a classroom will probably feel more comfortable expressing their thoughts and chatty students in a classroom may not be able to overrun the discussion.

One way to keep the students engaged is to have open discussions related to the topic being taught. 

Learning the importance of tone and consistency when providing critical feedback. Prioritize the learner's dignity and motivation to continue striving for a strong educational experience. 

The information on synchronus and asynchronous was enlightenin. The examples provided clarity as to when and when not to us.

I learned about the two modalities of online instruction, asynchronous and synchronous.

There are different styles of teaching and learning, whether it be synchronous or asynchronous, you just have to prepare yourself well with the material, make sure you encourgage learner's participation in the discussion session, that they can interact with each other, that the comments are to the point, clear and concise and make it to where they can feel confident and motivated to do well. 

To start with, I was made to understand the significant advantage of teaching key topics asynchronously as opposed to synchronously. Although I have yet to experience the disruptive learner, I was glad to learn about what to look for in the following learning styles avoidance, competitive and dependent. One takeaway that I will use is to increase my communication to learners that are not as actively engaged. Concerning feedback I may now include asking students about how the course is proceeding and what they may like to see improved at the two week mark.

Learning styles:

. Avoidant

. Competitive

. Dependent

. Collaborative

. Participant

. Independent 

Reply to Miriam Levy Moreno's post:Mutual open feedbacks, great.

Focus on relationships first. Relationships are the most important element of any learning format, but they are especially critical when students are online, because students can feel disconnected from the course and isolated from each other if they are not tended to.

To provide feedback to learners in a consistent manner, making sure each learner experiences the presence of the instructor.

When teaching in the online format, it is important to be timely with feedback and to ensure that your message is clear and easily understood. With discussions, you must still monitor the content being posted and be concise and consistent with responses. You must guide the discussion and respond appropraitely. 

There ae so many different ways to teach and learn, having so many choices makes it almost impossible to not engage students in learning.

The difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Discussion Learning and Feedback. When giving a feedback with criticism do it privately in private email. Synchronous is used mainly for Chat Sessions and must be limited to 5-6 students, response can be immediate. Asynchronous done with larger group and response time is longer.

One thing I do to engage students is to give them an Escape Room activity, which they can do in groups if they want. They have to answer 4 Multiple choice questions, solve a puzzle to change the answer letters into numbers, enter the number online, and if correct, they escape the room. There are 5 rooms. There is at least one real test question in there somewhere, so they are motivated to do the activity.

engage everyone in the discussion.

Sign In to comment