Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous communication via discussion boards helps those students who would normally not participate. Synchronous platforms do not. 

I have learned that it is critical for the instructor to actively participate in the asynchronous discussion.  Instructor participation guides student learning, facilitates discussion, and adds a social component to online courses that increases student engagement. I plan to be as active as possible in my course discussions. 

I will be using the tips to engage the students more in the Zoom meetings and engaging them in the discussion synchronously with summaries.

I'm encouraged that our course structures support the information presented here.

It was interesting to learn about the different online learning styles that you may actually see in face to face teaching as well.  The best methods of conducting synchronous and asynchronous technique was very informative, it helped to distinguish one style from the other.  This information will be helpful to implement when teaching online.  

Very true about how body languageand facial expressions add to learning and how it is missing with E-learning. I think the loss is a disadvantage to E-learns and intructors.  

Engaging learners is a key factor to ensure that students are understanding important course concepts.  

Just completed module 3 of ED 102 instruction on e-learning and notice that Bergquist & Phillips (1975) suggested that there are six (6) leaning styles for on-line learners: Avoidant; competitive; Dependent’ Collaborative; Participant and Independent, and that the first three (3) inhabits student’s participation.

I though there were only three (3): Visual; Kinesthetic; Auditory… until looking at their comments a little closer I come to realize that their six (6) categories can also to allotted to in-class learning as well.

Whether asynchronous or synchronous, conversation and communication are key to successful and effective online learning. The instructor needs to effectively facilitate conversation with various students over virtual platforms.

I think the biggest take away was the learning the difference between asynchronous and synchronous learning.  I will not schedule synchronous activites with the full class.  

Be supportive of the students and participate in the on line discussions. Consider different time zones when scheduling synchronous discussions. Let them know ahead of time.

Frequent and inclusive feedback should be encouraging to student and their learning experience. 

participation and encouragement. 

My self I got alot out of the asyncronus online class when we broke up into smaller groups as a syncronus goup of 4-6 student to present a group project

This module provided insight as the importance of student engagement via discussion post. 

The difference between synchronous and asynchronous meetings.

Discussion boards are a great way to keep students in active participation.

Both synchronous and asynchronous meetings have pros and cons. Asychronous allows students to work at their own pace while sychronous happens in real time.

Some tips to remember: identify students who are not as active as others, coordinate learning activities for all participants and create some small groups for some of the learning. 

With the two types of learning styles, asynchronous and synchronous the approach will be different.  With  asynchronous, everything does not happen at the same moment.  So, in order to foster participation, share the rules, post and monitor all class discussion and maintain focus of discussion.  With synchronous, instruction takes place in real time so it will provide opportunity for small talk and allow time for student to reflect on some subject matters.  And whenever feedback is provided, instructor should ensure it is done in a way to encourage particpation, confidence, and motivation.  It may also include constructive criticism.  

synchronously and asynchronously will always face the challenge of studying the learning styles

Sign In to comment