Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this section I was reminded of the differences between synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Although group synchronous sessions are not encouraged; I understand how necessary it is to have one-on-one synchronous sessions when the need to clarify lessons or content confusion needs to be clarified. I learned the need to keep these sessions well-organized and brief with engaging prompts and positive feedback as well as gentle positive or constructive criticism. I often use humor to engage students and was glad to see this is a recommended strategy.

ensure that each learner experiences teacher presence in his or her learning experience.

make all feedback positive and constructive

seek student feedback

I learned that online groups should be limited to 5 or 6 people. I also learned it is ok to encourage small talk and socialization among members.

I learned about the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions. 

The session gave me some good tips for fostering class discussions. 

Make students feel comfortable by getting to know them in a virtual classroom.  This is easily done by sending personal messages and getting them involved in the class.  Discussion threads seem to work really well for this.

This course discussed the importance of performing synchronous meetings with students 1:1 to provide feedback as well as providing an outlet for further discussion between the instructor and the student.

I think it is important o encourage confidence through grading feedback as well as suggesting constructive elements. This is a good way o encourage more participation in the future. For example, if the student was only given negative remarks, it could eliminate the confidence to continue the effort. 

Kindly,

Amy

I use asynchronous discussions almost exclusively.  They can really bring out the best in students.  It is easy to tell if a student grasp the concept if they can discuss it with their peers in an inelligent manner.

ASYNCHRONOUS IS GOOD TO APPLY WITH NON-PARTICIPANTS

In this module, I have learned to: (a) fostering participation in asynchronous discussions, (b) fostering participation in synchronous discussions and (c) providing feedback. I will apply different strategies to use them correctly in comunication with students.

It is important to add feedback in a timely manner. Feedback should be specific and concise. Without feedback, a student is unable to make a adjustments or learn where they went wrong.

In this module I learned important information about synchronic and asynchronic discussions, the importance and difference between them.

Ive learnd about synchronic and asynchronic forms of communications, and their pros and cons to work trough them. Also learned abut the importance af asertive feedback. 

Post encouranging feedback

Discusssion forum are the heart of an online course. Use them to enhance participation to motivate student to want to learn more about your topic, and to enhance student confidence.  

Focusing on the individual needs of students proves to be the most effective.

Engaging learners involves not just what you ssay, but how you say it.  You want to be postive and encourage participation. However, if you have to offer critisism, make sure its constructive and dignified.

You must always be aware of how you are being interpreted if you do not have the benefit of a camera.

I have learned what sychronic and asychronic discussions are and how it can be ineffective depending on the grouo size as well as the discussion content. 

I also learned how to effectively give students feedback, while maintaining moral.

Sign In to comment