Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Intrinsic is a feeling the student 

Extrinsic is receiving what is considered a reward 

Intrinsic motivators contribute the most to a students security in the classroom

Try to play more games in the class for a more extrinsic types. 

Thank you for the feed back, I will try this in my own class room. 

excellent review of intrinsic and extrinsic motivators

The differences between intrinsic and extrinsic motivators

Extrinsic vs. Intrinsic motivators; both are very prominent, both may be used, but intrinsic motivation is what we want, as we want the students internally be engaged and wanting to continue to learn, retain information and grow!

My students will feel more connected to their lessons if they understand what's in it for them. 

it is interesting to see the reward system is not a motivator in the adult education system. We look for more internal rewards and self fullfilling rewards systems. 

Extrinsic motivators can be place holders until intrinsic motivators kick in.

Encouraging our students to be intrinsically motivated is difficult when they just want to pass the class. We need to impress upon our students the benefits of the educational process to them and how great they feel when they successfully meet a challenge (which means different things to different students) regardless of the grade they eventually earn.

Interesting topic.  I never thought of paying my taxes as motiviated, but it is true, I am motivated by not going to jail.

It is very interesting to realize the things that motivates you as a person. Understanding these concepts will better help me as an instructor to help motivate my students. Most of my students I do have to encourage them by providing a reward but it is important that it leads naturally to an instrinsic factor.

It seems as if some of the folks here may be extrinsically motivated to complete these forum discussion because he want to proceed to the next module(s). Although we must complete each forum, folks are really not giving much effort to expressing what they've learned. In judging myself, I think the material on motivating factors of learning is interesting. I am just wondering how I can implement it in my nuring simulation class. 

We have Internal motivation and External motivation. We must be careful how we use extrinsic motivation due to its reliance on a reward or prize. Intrinsic motivation comes from within which carries more incentive. So many aspects to how we can find ways to make course content interesting and inspire students to do better and also learn more.

thye motivation can be to much if all you use is extrinsic to often

Both intrinsic and extrinsic motivators have their purposes and can be useful in the classroom. 

Intrinsic motivators have goals where as extrinsic is more based on reward

Extrinsic motivator can be temporary for the learning adult and intrinsic motivators can have a long lasting affect for the learning adult. 

Both of the motivators are very important, but while you can work on the extrinsic ones toward the students, the intrinsic ones have to be on their own. But it's very importantant to keep encouraging them to try their best.

Sign In to comment